1.5" mantis found in lr

I posted earlier about a hitch hiker from some lr I bought last night.
Well after many tries and alot of watching, hubby ripped the rock out and put it in freshwater, out came this 1.5 inch mantis shrimp.
I think he took out a couple of peppermints last night, he is in a jar now, not sure what to do with him.

garnet13aj

Your lfs would probably take it and give it away to someone who wanted it. That's what I did w/a hermit crab that I found out wasn't safe for my tank.

garnet13aj

Weird! My lfs just took my hermit and put it in a little area by itself and said they would give it away to someone who wanted it. Good luck getting someone to take it, I know some people like to keep them as pets. Personally, they freak me out!

chipmaker

I thin k they make a great specimen tank. I h ave a tank I call my Tank of Undesireables, which is chock full of huge bristle worms, aipstasia, manjano and a few rogue hermits and a mantis shrimp, and tons of asterina star fish. Its actually more interesting than the other reef tanks I have.

J

jrthomas40

man i was just lookin in my tank with a flash light and seens tons of what look like baby shrimp and i looked in the prefilter of my sump and seen tons of them living in the sponge....am i in trouple???

he has a new home, someone who will really appreciate him, i can't wait to see how big it gets!!!!
better his tank than mine......

Mantis shrimp are soooooo cool but im kinda scared of them call me paranoid but i always think it will break out of the tank at night and attack me in my sleep LOL but i really want one but my lfs never has them in.

dskrezyna

Originally Posted by deadmanschest
Mantis shrimp are soooooo cool but im kinda scared of them call me paranoid but i always think it will break out of the tank at night and attack me in my sleep LOL but i really want one but my lfs never has them in.

LOL, I watched a video of one of those things popping out of a cave and killing a hermit crab and I felt the same way! :scared:

maeistero

***) i'm really surprised there isn't a mantis forum on the site. i try to get every one, but they're always picked by the time i get there. i believe it's obvious that people are very interested, and that there are people telling everyone to just kill it.
kill your lions, eels, rabbits, etc. they also will kill others. :notsure:

shogun323

I have peacock mantis that I have kept for over a month now. He is my pride and joy. They are fascinating and powerful creatures. At an inch and a half long I would go pick up a 10 gallon tank from Wallyworld and set it up with live sand and live rock rubble.