1 dog vs 2 dogs

masta man

Hey guys I was just wondering what you guys think of 2 dogs, I have a mini dachshund, and I want another one. Is it a lot more work? Will they fight for attention? I need a good argument to persuade my parents:). VS

miaheatlvr

Originally Posted by Masta Man
http:///forum/post/2696262
Hey guys I was just wondering what you guys think of 2 dogs, I have a mini dachshund, and I want another one. Is it a lot more work? Will they fight for attention? I need a good argument to persuade my parents:). VS
My cousin has 2 regular sized hotdogs! Damn I love those things! I dont see them fighting at all... 2 males Bernie and Tinkerbell

dragonzim

Originally Posted by MiaHeatLvr
http:///forum/post/2696263
My cousin has 2 regular sized hotdogs! Damn I love those things! I dont see them fighting at all... 2 males Bernie and Tinkerbell
A male named Tinkerbell? Way to give the dog a complex!

aquaknight

My parents have three labs. They have an established hierarchy, they know whose the spoiled one and who doesn't like to be annoyed. Usually it's advisable to only have one male dog though (We have 1 male and 2 females) as that traces back to the days back in the 'pack' when there was an alpha male and a alpha female and sub-females. Not sure how much that translates down for dachsunds, but at least in large dogs it holds true.

aw2x3

Depends on the needs of the first dog. Is it needy, how old is it, how much time do you spend with it, etc?
My girlfriends dog is the biggest PITA I've ever seen...acts like he hasn't seen her in years, when she's only been gone a few min...knocking stuff off the tables, scratching people, jumping on her, etc.
We got a Pit puppy about a month ago. Every time she shows attention to the Pit, her dog starts a fight, because he's jealous and possessive.

aquaknight

Originally Posted by AW2x3
http:///forum/post/2696283
Depends on the needs of the first dog. Is it needy, how old is it, how much time do you spend with it, etc?
My girlfriends dog is the biggest PITA I've ever seen...acts like he hasn't seen her in years, when she's only been gone a few min...knocking stuff off the tables, scratching people, jumping on her, etc.
We got a Pit puppy about a month ago. Every time she shows attention to the Pit, her dog starts a fight, because he's jealous and possessive.
You're girlfriend's dog (pending it's not like a Rotty) is going to learn a valuable lesson shortly....

masta man

we spend a lot of time with our dog, but many times she just sits in her pen. She is 4 years old, usually she just sleeps either on you or in her pen. Our neighbors got a new wiener puppy, and our dog enjoys playing with her. Thanks for all of your comments.

aw2x3

Originally Posted by AquaKnight
http:///forum/post/2696285
You're girlfriend's dog (pending it's not like a Rotty) is going to learn a valuable lesson shortly....
I know...and I can't wait! Her dog (German Shep/Lab mix) annoys the crap out of me!...and, he does no wrong, according to her.
He tried to show my 100lb Choc Lab who was the boss and that didn't work quite the way he hoped, when he ended up on his back, pinned to the floor, with my dog going after his face.

coral keeper

I also have a dachshund. He is 11 years old and we got a german shepherd mixed with lab (hes in my avatar, but that picture is pretty old, he MUCH bigger now) that's about 7 months old I think. When we first got the german shepherd mixed with lab (hes a boy) my dachshund would chase him all over the house! lol Then they got used to each other and now they eat and sleep together some of the time.

sepulatian

Originally Posted by Scotts
http:///forum/post/2696284
Any idea how you all think I will answer?
Scotts would never keep more than one dog at a time

I got my terrier mix after I had my Jack for two years. They get along great but the Jack is definitely the dominate one, even though he only stands 9 inches tall. He gets jealous of the mix. So naturally we have to play with her to make him mad
They occupy each other and play together all of the time. It is great. He used to want us to play fetch with him constantly. Whenever I was doing something, I would turn around to find all of his toys lined up in a row behind me with him laying just behind the row looking at me, waiting. It was funny, but a bit of a pain sometimes.

scotts

Well surprise surprise, I am a FIRM believer in the fact that if you have one dog, you should have two. Especially if everyone in the house works. Dogs get bored and another dog will keep your dog entertained during the day and also in a that people can't, my son would say they dogs are "mouth fighting".
I was a little worried that your dig might be too old to accept another dog into his house, but if he is having fun with the dog next door then you should be good to go.

fuerte91

We have about an 8 year old mutt, a mix between a cocker spaniel and somethingelse(never knew). All she does ALL day is sleep. When my brother got home from school, he got a siberian husky. He was always hyper and getting on her nerves. Now they get along great.

nina&noah

Originally Posted by Scotts
http:///forum/post/2696377
Well surprise surprise, I am a FIRM believer in the fact that if you have one dog, you should have two. Especially if everyone in the house works. Dogs get bored and another dog will keep your dog entertained during the day and also in a that people can't, my son would say they dogs are "mouth fighting".
I was a little worried that your dig might be too old to accept another dog into his house, but if he is having fun with the dog next door then you should be good to go.
Yeah, I think it really depends on the dog. My dog doesn't think she is a dog and therefore can't stand to be in the presence of "dogs." She is such a little snob. She also will not allow a dog anywhere near my husband. She is very possesive.
My sister's dog on the other hand desperately needs a friend. He gets bored very easy and is always looking for attention.

al mc

Generally the addition of a second dog will produce jealousy for about 2-3 weeks, but in most situations two dogs are better than one especially if you the humans vacate the hosue for long periods because of school/work.
IMHO, it is best to get a puppy of the opposite s e x if you want to maxiomize your chances that they will get along. It will likely look at the adult as the 'alpha'.

texasmetal

Just get them fixed. Problem solved for the most part. Last thing the world needs is more puppies anyway.
Scotts nailed it on the head. Dogs need companions of their own species, just like people need human companionship. I love my dogs but they can't hold very good conversations.
Between my girlfriend and I, we have too many dogs (mostly rescue dogs). All fixed except the alpha, Siberian Husky. The Basenji is the only instigator of any fights, but she's a Basenji. More like a cat in a dogs body.