1 gallon salt tank??

oceanists

Originally Posted by jdragunas
ok, it might be possible (although improbable) to fix the evaporation thing. But unless you have a 10g filter on that tank, it IS IMPOSSIBLE to create enough bacteria to allow a fish at all... even the smalles one. you'd have to do water changes around the clock to reduce nitrates, which will be what? like 4 oz? and then that gives you more of a chance to screw something up.
get a betta. they're great!
thank you Jennifer .... hey look at my stuff in this thread https://forums.saltwaterfish.com/t/231469/some-pics-of-my-stuff#post_1770215

dut

Originally Posted by jdragunas
ok, it might be possible (although improbable) to fix the evaporation thing. But unless you have a 10g filter on that tank, it IS IMPOSSIBLE to create enough bacteria to allow a fish at all... even the smalles one. you'd have to do water changes around the clock to reduce nitrates, which will be what? like 4 oz? and then that gives you more of a chance to screw something up.
get a betta. they're great!

I agree that it shouldnt have fish, as a tank that small is going to be hard enough with no bioload. I dont agree that its impossible however, I am sure you could squeeze enough LR into the tank to filter a small fish. The idea is far from impossible, but would require a level of care that most people wont be willing to provide for a small tank.

xdave

Mine had a ugf, i put loose biochem beads under it. there was a little lr in it too. I had to put plastic wrap over the top because the salinity would change really fast from evap.

milomlo

I personally like my small tanks better than my 100 gallon. IMO small tanks are easier to keep up with. Just my 2cents. My 100 gallon right now is sitting without fish cause it crashed. I have them in a rubbermaid and it is easier to keep them undercontrol in that.
Oh well - I say if you want to try give it a shot. We are all in this to learn. However you MUST stay on top of the water. Or just do a small reef. I think that would be cool. Like someone said above - feather duster some shrooms and maybe a peppermint shrimp or something like that.
Good Luck

J

jdragunas

yes, but mushrooms and feather dusters are even more sensative to water changes than fish are, so IMO the won't last long...

S

saltfreak4

Originally Posted by Oceanists
ummmmmm .... oh nevermind your new .... not worth the time
It never ceases to amaze me the rudeness of people. If you don't want to help then just don't comment.
That being said, have you ever had a saltwater tank? (I am talking to the post starter). Because this tank has some major obstacles. If this is your first attempt, I wouldn't do it.

J

jdragunas

he actually did express his opinion several times, i didn't find it rude...
and i agree with salt. if this is your first tank than definately NOT!

S

saltfreak4

I understand he expressed his opinion several times, but to actually post that you aren't worth the time it takes to tell you something (anything) because you are new is rude. That is what scares away newbies.

J

jdragunas

i think he was just saying to bob that it wasn't worth it to argue with him... :)

S

saltfreak4

ahhh, ok, but it still read a little rude to me. Would make me feel like if you aren't in the group for awhile people aren't interested.

fish911

Originally Posted by Debbie
Get yourself a nice freshwater betta male. They do just great in these tanks.....

10-4
its not worth it at all to try salt in that tank

my way

Originally Posted by saltfreak4
It never ceases to amaze me the rudeness of people. If you don't want to help then just don't comment.
That being said, have you ever had a saltwater tank? (I am talking to the post starter). Because this tank has some major obstacles. If this is your first attempt, I wouldn't do it.
cmc3502 was told by people who know what they are doing, NOT to do it. Then Bob Wire comes into the thread and tells the person who does NOT know if he or she is able to do it, to do so, just to prove someone wrong. That is not only somewhat rude in itself but it is absolutley stupid advice. Obviously this good advice was wasted on Bob Wire as he suggested to "go for it and prove him wrong".

cmc3502

just to revisit this post of mine... this "idea" to have a 1 gallon salt tank was just something that popped into my head as I see this empty 1 gallon tank everyday at work and thought "what if"... but I won't be attempting a 1 gallon salt tank...

imurnamine

Wow, I came in late on this one.

Well, I would not dare try it. The lowest I would do is a 10, and even that seems a bit small..

debbie

Originally Posted by cmc3502
well after that last post I changed my mine... heres my setup (j/k)

Now that is good.....

How did you get this picture?