1 missing Chromis

wade163

hey gang...quick question. I had 3 chromis on Friday...by Sunday evening, I had 7. I added 2 on Sunday, and 2 on Saturday. By Tuesday evening, I noticed 2 of them 1 big, bout the size of an ink pen top (a bic pen) and the other small (bout a quarter) had red marks on them. NOW Wend evening, I am missing the small one (I am goin to assume he is DEAD), and the other one wounds are gettin worse. I cant find the body of the small one, and the other one may die too. Should I worry about the water, or do a water change, or what???
Also my yellow tang is acting STRANGE...darting back and forth...and rapid breathing (so my 7 year old says)...and he is KINDA right

try2wryte

I just had a similar problem went from 5 to 1 missing with one sporting a big red bruise. Now both are dead and behind the rock. 3 left andthey've only been residents since monday.

wade163

umm...3 left...where did they go...they cant just pack up and leave??...sod id you do a water change, or what...I am worried about my other fish...and my tang actin funny...but my other fish appear fine...i am watchin closely!!!

crypt keeper

more than likely beating the hell out of each other and the smaller weaker ones are getting killed first. You both will eventually either have 1 or none.

try2wryte

This whole thing annoys the crap out of me since every thing I've read and every person I've talked to at 3 LFS and a few on here have all said hey're docile

crypt keeper

well they are. just no towards each other. Look them up. Almost everybody on here will tell you they will knock each other off.

try2wryte

I was told just to keep them in odd numbers, I only got them because I anted a mini school floating around the tank...if not thee guys do you know of another shoaling fish thats more docile?

crypt keeper

wade. See what may be casuing your tang to dart around. he may getting picked on but tangs should hold their own. If he gets worse take him out and put him in qt and then post in the disease section.

freeride7

I had 17 of them in my 180 gallon in December.. Wanted that schooling effect. 2 mths later I now only have 5 left. They disappear fast.

crypt keeper

Originally Posted by Try2wryte
http:///forum/post/2961385
I was told just to keep them in odd numbers, I only got them because I anted a mini school floating around the tank...if not thee guys do you know of another shoaling fish thats more docile?
Nothing reall stays together in our tanks. In the wild you see tangs by the masses, chromis, and other fish. sticking together. In a bigger tank you could try Schooling bannerfish. Look very similiar to the moorish idol.

wade163

well...as an update...5 only remain. I walk in the door and seem my emorald crab having a great snack...So that was probly the big one, and not the smaller one. So now I am bout to do a water change for the sake of my yellow tang. He has a lil spot of red near his tail it looks like...or maybe i am lookin toooooo hard. But everything else looks fine!!!