1 Week old tank water numbers HELP

sthlts

alright I did a water change yesterday and here are the stats of the tank today
Alk 2.4-2.8
Ammonia 3.0
Nitrite .2
Nitrate 5
i didnt another 25% water change after these readings. any thought on getting the ammonia at 1.5 or less durring the cycle?
I have 350lbs or new live rock in the tank and I don't want to kill the good stuff off. This is my first tank.......HELP

rotarymagic

Originally Posted by sthlts
http:///forum/post/2807433
alright I did a water change yesterday and here are the stats of the tank today
Alk 2.4-2.8
Ammonia 3.0
Nitrite .2
Nitrate 5
i didnt another 25% water change after these readings. any thought on getting the ammonia at 1.5 or less durring the cycle?
I have 350lbs or new live rock in the tank and I don't want to kill the good stuff off. This is my first tank.......HELP
Just relax man... it'll cycle, just let it be... don't ghost feed or anything... you're not gonna kill off all the good stuff.. the fact that nitrates are showing up means that the cycle is going through. Get the alkalinity up though that's ridiculously low... Just spike it to 12dKH.. and add the same amount of calcium the next day... to buffer. Acceptable ranges are 8-12dKH. This might be what's causing a huge ammonia spike, die off from low alkalinity.

sthlts

I don't mean to go nuts but I posted my ammonia question and a few guys sad anything more then 1.5 ppm will do more bad than good. I'm not sure what chart I am looking at but the test kit I have has a range of 0-3.6 for alkalinity am I testing for the wrong think? I't my first tank and I went a little nuts with the Idea and did a 150 gallon tank. I have alot of money invested in the rock and don't want to kill it off.

gsellers

your alk is fine for now....you are measuring in meq/l and he;s thinking of DKH...totally different readings rotarymagic

stanlalee

Originally Posted by sthlts
http:///forum/post/2807446
I don't mean to go nuts but I posted my ammonia question and a few guys sad anything more then 1.5 ppm will do more bad than good.
thats what "they" say but in practice I havent found it to make any difference at all. this last cycle (with shipped liverock, sand that been sitting a year hydrated but unregulated temp/salinity) I let ammonia go thru the roof (read 8ppm which is as high as the test kit goes). at that point I decided it was a good idea to throw on the protein skimmer but I still didn't do any water changes or pther measures to reduce it. according to "they" that should have killed off the beneficial bacteria and all the hitch hikers for sure. then please tell me why is there a crab (I dont want) in a hole I cant get him out of that claws around everytime I feed, why do I come home to see a new stomatella out after hours just about EVERY single day, why do I see tube snails/worms, why did I see a bristle worm in my sump before the cycle was even over, why do I start every morning with residual pods still on the glass after (night) hours. "they" should be right, we all know ammonia is toxic and lethal to just about all sea creatures. maybe they all did die. who cares its a reef tank, a few corals on rock later you have reintroduced them. If its not a reef tank who cares, hitch hikers arent the focus of FOWLR and will probably get eaten if they are visable anyway.

sthlts

thanks Stanlalee I was worried about it but your right this is my first tank so im sure im going to make bigger mistakes down the road. Im going to let it run its course and see what happens a week or so from now.