10 Gallon Conversion / Rebuild 6-Pack

marvida

BACKGROUND:
Recently I began to refit my office 10 gallon. Originally it had 3X32 PC with a small powerhead, Whisper 30 hang-on, and an in-tank airstone skimmer. For top-off it had a Kent Aquadose. Since I only work Monday through Thursday this thing needed to be as close to automatic as possible. It wasn't. The Aquadose kept stopping and when I would come in on Monday the water level would be down a couple of inches. Needless to say this was playing havoc on everything.
Now I've pretty much changed everything. It now has 1X28 Actinic PC, 1X70w HQI MH, a hang-on fuge, 4" cooling fan, a SeaClone 100 skimmer and an electric auto top-off system.
This first shot shows the tank as it sits in my office. You can see where I had to raise the hood an additional 3.5" for the MH.

marvida

This pic is with the top hatch open looking down into the tank. The MH fixture was a 500w outdoor halogen fixture I converted.

marvida

Auto top off switch. I already had all the parts before I found out a member of this board sold these things assembled. Trust me on this one, buy the switched cord assembled, cutting these small pieces of acrylic is a pain.

marvida

When completed I was very surprised at the reaction of the 'shrooms & other inhabitants. You really couldn't tell much of a difference in the brightness between the PC's & the MH but in the first hour, the 'shrooms, polyps & everything else sucked so far back into the rock it looked like they had been cut off. I then aclimated them over the next week or so & now eceryone is happy. Another problem I encountered was a bumper crop of hair algae. It's now under control also.