10 gallon kitchen nano

brooklyn johnny

This is my 10 gallon “kitchen nano” I set up over the summer. I was originally skeptical about setting up a nano, but I can now say that I love this tank and have learned much that my 180 never taught me. I maintain it now with a dilute kalkwasser mix (1/2 or ¾ teaspoon per gallon according to alkalinity) and daily additions of calcium chloride, keeping my alk between 3 and 3.5 meq/l and calcium around 450. Lighting consists of 2 36 watt PCs, one 10,000 k and one actinic. I have a 7 gallon refugium that I made from a plastic "critter keeper" that has since filled with various ‘pods and 5 species of macroalgae. Lighting for the fuge is run 24/7 with 2 15 watt NO "Lights of America" from Home Depot for just $7 each (bulb and fixture). I have an Aquaclear 150 hanging on the back with a Minijet 404 in the filter pumping up to the fuge. I just recently upgraded from two Minijet 404s in the tank to 606s and am happier with the increased circulation. I have two clams (maxima and squamosa), sps, lps and softies alike. I have included a couple of full tank shots and will follow with some closeups. Any comments or questions just ask and I can go into further detail on anything. I had to drop the compression and resolution of the images below 100k so some are a little grainy.

brooklyn johnny

My fire shrimp with coralline growth and halimeda (calcareous algae)... this was an awesome shot but when i dropped the resolution the shrimp turned neon :D anyway here it is

brooklyn johnny

I found this Trachyphyllia with three living barnacles bored into the base. This was a bonus and the price was right so I had to pick this coral up. It is a very neat hitchhiker to watch feed.

brooklyn johnny

My Fungia sp. These are great corals to fill the sandbed, and if you find a shallow water one with nice colors that is healthy scoop it up. I feed target feed this guy once in a while...

brooklyn johnny

My cleaner goby has taken up my Turbinaria frondens (yellow cup coral) as my percula took up the frogspawn. I love Turbinaria and have a second one in the next pic...

brooklyn johnny

Turbinaria peltata... according to Borneman this is the only species in the genus that naturally opens it polyps during the day...

josh

Great looking tank there!
Gotta ask the obvious question, why did you put it right next to the oven burner? I would have nightmares about that!
Nicely done!

brooklyn johnny

One of many acro frags, in the high current area and very close to my PC light source. While obviously not getting the color it would under stronger lighting, I have seen good growth.

brooklyn johnny

That's enough for now... :D... I'll post more on request. Josh I set up this tank to control my reefkeeping addiction until my wife and I buy a house. We are in a 1 bedroom apartment and this spot was too perfect... I have a digital temp monitor and when cooking we turn on the fan and put up a cookie sheet between the tank and stove... except for when I'm cooking with garlic (almost always... refer to blondenasos OT post)... needless to say I don't need to use garlic elixir. The tomato sauce keeps the clams healthy too... :D Anyway... the stove does not affect the temp of the tank