10 gallon long tank as a sump?

eyedontknow

I got a great deal on a 55 gal aquarium and i'm trying to work out all the details before i set it up. I want a sump/refugium for this tank and while looing at the different sizes of tanks, I found one site that gave dimensions of a 10 gallon long (24 1/4 x 8 1/2 x 12 5/8). 2 questions:
1. After the research I'v done this seems like it would be big enough for a sump/refugium. Am i right or do i need to find something bigger?
2. do these really exist? if so can anyone tell me where i find get one? they din't seem to be a very common size and so far i havn't been able to find them

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyedontknow http:///t/391259/10-gallon-long-tank-as-a-sump#post_3468785
I got a great deal on a 55 gal aquarium and i'm trying to work out all the details before i set it up. I want a sump/refugium for this tank and while looing at the different sizes of tanks, I found one site that gave dimensions of a 10 gallon long (24 1/4 x 8 1/2 x 12 5/8). 2 questions:
1. After the research I'v done this seems like it would be big enough for a sump/refugium. Am i right or do i need to find something bigger?
2. do these really exist? if so can anyone tell me where i find get one? they din't seem to be a very common size and so far i havn't been able to find them
As everything in SW...the bigger the better. A 55g stand should be able to hold up to a 40g sump. Any sump is better than none at all...I have a 24g sump on my 90g tank
If it will fit in your stand, a 30g long would be perfect I think.

eyedontknow

that's the problem. no standard tank will fit in the stand. the tank is only 13" wide and i have "maybe" 9 3/4" underneath.

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyedontknow http:///t/391259/10-gallon-long-tank-as-a-sump#post_3468792
that's the problem. no standard tank will fit in the stand. the tank is only 13" wide and i have "maybe" 9 3/4" underneath.
What is the tank sitting on? Please explain better. A canister filter may be the best thing for you if you don't have a way to enclose a sump...they get real ugly over time and you don't want to look at that.
Canisters are great as long as each month (like clock work) you clean and swap the media in them. They run silent, can be attached with a spray bar (a fantastic plus) and media is easy to change or add more to. I used canisters on my 90g for 10 years or more. I had a beautiful reef.

eyedontknow

it's on a wood stand. but it's notquite as wide as the tank and then there braces underneath that also eliminate some of the space i can use. it doesn't sound like very much space, but it is when the tank itself is only 13" wide to begin wit.

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyedontknow http:///t/391259/10-gallon-long-tank-as-a-sump#post_3468798
it's on a wood stand. but it's notquite as wide as the tank and then there braces underneath that also eliminate some of the space i can use. it doesn't sound like very much space, but it is when the tank itself is only 13" wide to begin wit.
Is the top of the stand at least fully under the tank? No glass hangover....

eyedontknow

yes, but it's like a countertop, how the cupboards are in a little from the outside edge. (hopefully that makes sense)

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyedontknow http:///t/391259/10-gallon-long-tank-as-a-sump#post_3468804
yes, but it's like a countertop, how the cupboards are in a little from the outside edge. (hopefully that makes sense)
That's not good....get a good sturdy piece of wood the size of the tank or an inch larger, remove the tank put the wood (the thickness of a shelf) on top of your cabinet then the tank. You don't realize the stress on the bottom glass. SW tanks are super heavy. with the bottom not fully supported you have a ticking time bomb for breaking. Your entire tank is held together by a line of silicone one the edges.

snakeblitz33

A ten gallon sump is not big enough for a 55g display tank.
A 20g long would be a perfect size and big enough for what you want to do.
Hit up the big box store when they have heir $1/gallon sale.

eyedontknow

thanks. after looking a liitle bit at equipment, i did realize a 10 would be to small. But a 20 long is still too wide. I think 8bm going to do 2 10's with an overflow connection. Also (way at the back of my mind) consindering putting something together myself.
How hard would this be for a totally newb diy'er? I've seen a couple you tube videos. It doesn't look too difficult and I do really well at following directions, but it worries me to put together something that's going to hold that much water. of course since i have so little money I would have penty of tine to let it sit and see how well it holds. :)

snakeblitz33

If your stand one of those pre-fab'd pieces of cardboard junk? If it is, it would be worth looking into building a custom stand and waterproofing it and making sure you have enough room for a 20g long.
If not, then you can go to a glass shop and have them cut pieces. Use a silicone that has a tight bond and is not mold and mildew resistant. 3M makes a good silicone. Just slap it together and tape it up really well and let it sit for two weeks to cure. Then leak test it and see how well you did. It's pretty easy to do.

eyedontknow

yeah, that's what I have. That's something else i've never done. How do I make sure the stand is strong enough to hold all the weight it'll need too? building a stand makes me more nervous than building a sump.

snakeblitz33

2x4s and 3/4"oak plywood usually works best. I build all my stands extra wide to fit most sumps up to 18 1/2".
Over time that pre-fabbed junk will suck up saltwater/water and collapse. Not building a decent stand would make me nervous as all get out. I'd hate to come home one day and my fish and thousands of dollars worth of coral just all dried up because I didn't invest an extra $125 on a decent stand.
But that's just me.

maeistero

Yeah, no way on the cheap stand. You won't ever want to move your tank and risk disturbing your nitrates. Undoubtedly you will have salt creep and water all over that particleboard which will destroy it and you'll lose everything.
The #1 rule of saltwater is to never skimp on anything. (#2 is a ro filter right off the bat).
Honestly you don't need a sump for this size though, I'd just run a couple hob skimmers (not skilters) and check them everyday.It's far easier for a beginner than a sump leak.

eyedontknow

maybe not, but I've wanted to set one up sinceI had our first 29 gal set up years ago. and the more i research them, the more interested I am in it. also, I'm secretly hoping i can find an even bigger tank this summer at a garage sale and use the 55 as a sump. :)