10-gallon tank question

texasmetal

Okay, this is my first attempt at keeping a saltwater tank. I have a 100-gallon FW cichlid tank that has done very well over the past year, I maintain my roommates 30-gallon FW tank as well, and it's been really easy. I had a 10-gallon tank I was keeping a few guppies in so I could have a tank in my bedroom without too much mess of water changes, etc. About 4 months ago I decided to change it over to SW.
I changed out the substrate to live sand, the bed is about 3 inches deep. I read that all I needed for a fish-only tank would be a good filter and heater, and I use a 30 gallon filter with bio, mech, and carbon filtering along with an airstone to create current in the water, it keeps most of the tank stirred up pretty well, except for right around the decorations I do notice detritus build-up which I remove with a baster. I would like to add a small powerhead, but I want to determine if a 10-gallon is worth investing in for a SW beginner because with exception of Izzy, my girlfriends GS puffer (whose growth was stunted due to being very sickly when she got him 8 months ago) I've had a small Blenny and 2 Damsels die within 2 weeks of putting them in, (not to mention the perc clown that was munched by my "freshwater" eel (not really FW, brackish to SW, like Izzy)
I got a complete test kit and went through the whole series of tests once a week for the past several weeks.
Everything was within acceptable range, except for PH. Last time I tested it, the PH was 7.9 and I added buffer, and it didn't seem to help.
The Blenny just died a few days ago and he was showing signs of ich (scratching, labored breathing through one gill) and I found that the heater had been tampered with, and my water was at 86 degrees, up from 78 where it normally stays. I may have bumped the knob while knocking salt-creep off the hood so I'll blame myself for that. The water turned very cloudy overnight and the past 3 days I can't get it to go away.
Anyway, I know that smaller tanks are harder to maintain, 10 being very hard... and probably not wise on my part, but I THOUGHT beingst I've had my FW systems run smoothly for so long I would try it and see.
Is there any hope for a beginner and a 10-gallon SW tank?

kdfrosty

I would never recommend that a beginner start with anything less than a 55g tank, but you have what you have....nothing's impossible.
Just expect to perform lots of maintenance on this tank. Because of having such a small volume of water you should be performing water tests almost daily. As you alluded to, the less water in the system, the easier it is for water parameters to fluctuate.
First off, I would not add buffer to fix your pH problems. that is only masking the real problem. You should make sure that you have enough water flow throughout the tank. You need to have a minimum of 100g per hour of flow throughout the tank, preferably 150-200gph. You also need to make sure that the surface is of the water is agitated, and that there are no dead spots where water hardly flows throughout the tank. I would use at least one powerhead in the tank to create sufficient flow. I would also remove any top that you might be using on the tank. Using an open top tank will promote better gas exchange, effectively raising the pH. If you're worried about keeping a completely open tank you might try lighting eggcrate.
If your tank is really cloudy all I can recommend is running carbon. If you're already running carbon, change it out and run some more.
I'm against using solutions to cover up symptoms. I've found that it only gets worse in the long run.
Anyways, I hope all that helps you out. Let us know how it goes.

starr

Well definatley the 10 gal will need water changes, adds, lower salt... whatever and just because a 10 gal is smaller it would make since that the water would need more attention, NEVER say never though!!!! :) I'm a begginner too, well its been a few months of experience now but I'm still a novice but this place has lots of good advise and also lots of people who will tell you everything you do is wrong so just like any advise, take it with a grain of sand and do lots of reading!
Another thing is to take it very very very slow!!! My boyfriend bought me a 44 gal tank and the next day I was ready to go get fishies! But I thought twice and read up on what I had NO idea about! Get your water and sand in, get it completely balanced, add live rock even if its just a little, it helps the take and is pretty cool to see all the stuff growing out of it, balance agian, with rock the nitrate will sky rocket because things are dying off. All this should take about a month or a little more, it did for us. Then put in a few hardy fish and see where that takes you, you dont want every body dying off and I know its hard but be patient and it will be very well worth it. We have a lion and some hermits and thats all for now and in a year or so will we upgrade to something bigger. For a 10 gallon maybe try some damsels, they are pretty cool and come in LOTS of colors like the ciclids so you and your girl can pick your favorite colors, it will be fun! :) Its tons of fun for us! good luck!!! Any more questions? Im glad to help

soo high

the money u spend on a nano tank is the same as u spend on a 55 gallon so please reconsider a bigger tank

texasmetal

Thanks to all of you for your responses.
As for the last response, I'm about to move out of my apartment, and into my first house! Soooooooo I'm considering trading in all my FW fish in the 100-gallon when I move for store credit at a pretty nice LFS, that way when I get it set back up, I can start a 100-gallon SW tank with the credit. I like to have a few fish to look at, instead of just one, so I knew the 10-gallon wouldn't keep me satisfied for too long.
My girlfriend has a few tanks of her own, FW and a brackish 30-gallon with 2 Figure 8's and the other GS Puffer, Miyake, he's HUGE. Izzy's not much bigger than when she got him as a baby, despite his appetite, that's why he's in the 10.
I think I'm just going to hold off until I'm settled into my new house then give the 100 a try. I do have an empty 70 sitting in my room, but I can't afford to start up another tank right now, especially with the costs of live rock/sand and ready-mixed saltwater at the LFS.
As discouraging as losing fish is, it's a hard hobby to give up. We've both been disqusted with the losses of our fish, especially the little Blenny, he was funny and cute, and I brought him home to his death after seeing him at a pet store for 2 months, even though the girlfriend said "No more fish until we close on the house!" haha.

kdfrosty

congrats on the house!
Yup, a 100g would be much easier and IMO a bit nicer. Lots more stuff you can do with it anyways.

texasmetal

Cool, glad to see you folks are in agreeance on the 100-gallon. Now can someone point me in the direction of instructions as to how I set up the plumbing for a SW tank? As in spillway, sump, etc. If I'm going to do it I want to do it right.
I really do better with detailed pictures as opposed to written instructions..haha.

Also, while I'm on the subject of starting it up... what do you think about this for an aggressive community...
Dragon Wrasse
Volitan Lionfish
Porcupine Puffer
Trigger (Picasso or Niger)
and maybe 2 or 3 more different fish, suggestions welcome. I like that Green Wolf Eel but I didn't know how it would do with these other fish.