10 gallon transfer into 20Long

wilioli

just got the 20L.. so here's the issue im having.. . about to order my light fixture.. but i want to know -- how can i properly transfer the 10g into the 20L? I have about 35lbs of base rock and im going to use the 12lbs of live rock that I have... I have to buy new live sand -- will this cause an ammonia spike? and cause a mini cycle? Unsafe for the 2 oscellaris clowns? I wouldn't think it would cause a mini cycle, but I'm not sure.. I was going to use the water from the 10g tank, and add more water into the 20g long -- so figured it'd be like a water change..??
ps. is this too much rock? 12lbs live + 35lbs base = total 47lbs

pauloesco

I think you're ok -- just move everything from the old tank to the new tank, after you've put and stabilized (salinity, ph, temp) the 10-12gallons of new water in the new tank.
If the 10 hasn't been set up long, then the sand shouldn't be a big issue. I usually use a strainer, so you get lots of hte sand, not so much of the cloudy mess from old tank to new tank. (some here, in other threads, woudl say leave all the old sand).
If you're getting any new rock -- assume it needs to cure. Use the old tank to cure it, when the new rock in the old tank shows no ammonia/nitrites, then you can plop it into the new tank.
let us know how it goes.

wilioli

Quote:
Originally Posted by PauloEsco http:///forum/thread/381827/10-gallon-transfer-into-20long#post_3328509
I think you're ok -- just move everything from the old tank to the new tank, after you've put and stabilized (salinity, ph, temp) the 10-12gallons of new water in the new tank.
If the 10 hasn't been set up long, then the sand shouldn't be a big issue. I usually use a strainer, so you get lots of hte sand, not so much of the cloudy mess from old tank to new tank. (some here, in other threads, woudl say leave all the old sand).
If you're getting any new rock -- assume it needs to cure. Use the old tank to cure it, when the new rock in the old tank shows no ammonia/nitrites, then you can plop it into the new tank.
let us know how it goes.
thank you!