10 gallon

manu

i have got 1 ten gallon tank and i dont know whta to do with it, should i go for the nano reef or should i use it as a hospital tank or quarentine for my 75?
plz help i must decide to night

manu

thanxs for the info but if i have no experience when will i learn,
i will probable do the hospital tank though

ruaround

There's no time like the present...If you have the means to do one, and you are willing to read about the maintenence Why not try...we all at one point didnt have any reef experience, and if we didnt try it we still wouldn't...just my .02 :D !!!

jeo

well due to the fact that 10 gallon tanks cost $10 you could just get another and do both :D

Originally posted by fallen04:
<strong>nano reefs are very easy to maintain and fun too have.</strong><hr></blockquote>
That is not always true...
Nano reefs tend to be much harder to keep, and not to mention much more $$$$$.
The reason is, that nano reefs need much better filteration than the bigger reefs(50+). If something goes wrong(lets say you have ich), then rather of 1 fish getting ich, the whole tank will get it! Also, you need much better filteration than in bigger reefs due to such a small tank. Nano's might seem easy, but there not. I have ahd 1 before i got my 85, turned out everything died after 3 months due to ammonis spike, NOTHING LIVED! I would say hospital tanks are much better. You will need hospital tanks, trust me. Everything you get much be cured before putting it in the tank. The fish you might have bought, might have ich in it, the coral you might buy could be infested with parasites, the rock you have could carry ammonia...
I would say get a nano when you are much more experenced at this hobby, you just started. So, do the hospital now, and maybe in about 8 months we will talk about a nano. First try to maintain the tank you got, before getting a new one. NO ONE HAS MENTIONED A REFUGIUM! this are great to have and can double as a hospital tak if needed too...
A rufugium is a place to grow algeas that you cant have in your tank for some reason, and is one of the best filterationers yet! They can get out thing even a skimmer cant get out! I would say get a refugium, and have that double as a hospital tank.
Fist maintain the tank you got...
First comes first, not second...

jim27

Originally posted by Bob the Builder:
<strong>
That is not always true...
Nano reefs tend to be much harder to keep, and not to mention much more $$$$$.
The reason is, that nano reefs need much better filteration than the bigger reefs(50+). If something goes wrong(lets say you have ich), then rather of 1 fish getting ich, the whole tank will get it! Also, you need much better filteration than in bigger reefs due to such a small tank. Nano's might seem easy, but there not. I have ahd 1 before i got my 85, turned out everything died after 3 months due to ammonis spike, NOTHING LIVED! I would say hospital tanks are much better. You will need hospital tanks, trust me. Everything you get much be cured before putting it in the tank. The fish you might have bought, might have ich in it, the coral you might buy could be infested with parasites, the rock you have could carry ammonia...
</strong><hr></blockquote>
I have a nano and so far its been easy(and cheap compared to a big reef) to take care of. The only fitration besides the lr and ls is a 5 gallon refugium and weekly water changes(about 2-3 gallons). I have a frogspawn, various mushrooms and polyps and everything is growing and doing great. So far the thing has cost me only about $350, lights alone for a big reef cost more than that! The only problem is you need to whats water parameters more carefully there's almost no room for error in a nano. I would say since you just started in this hobby go for a refugium like bob said.

ak_reefer

I would say make it a quaritine tank (hospital) it will save you alot of money in the long run. I would not recommend making it into a hospital/refugium as one. For one if you have a fish come down with some sort of disease and need to treat it with meds you dont want that affecting your refugium and your main tank. A refugium is a great idea just not as a hospital and refugium. Just my .02 .

stupid_naso

I started this hobby about six months ago. I started as a FOWLR system, but about three months ago I started reef. It's not that hard. It doesn't need a better filtration. I have mini penguin bio-wheel, and that's it.
Some people actually make it sounds like it's imposibble to do. I know they don't mean it, but it sure sounds like it. When I first started I was told the same thing, and I was somewhat discouraged. I don't want that to happen to anybody else. If you want it and you're dedicated enough to take care of it, then go for it. You learn the others as you go.
As long as you can hold back on stocking fish, especially with a ten gal, considering you can only have one. Two small ones the most. So if one fish is infected by some sort of disease, it'll be the only one. Change your water 10 percent every week, which takes 10 minutes the most. That's about it. Careful on feeding, and you'll be fine.
I say go with nano, but quarantine/hospital tank is great too. I have nothing against that. It's just when people discourage others about keeping a ten gal reef and doesn't give a good enough support for their argument, it just upsets me.
stupid_naso

karlas

since your not experienced with reefs at all i would keep it as a hospital tank. corals need good water conditions and a 10 gal nano is definitly doable if taken care of. it would be a lot cheaper than a big reef. im not saying its harder than a big reef but with some experience will be a lot easier. but the smaller the tank the more you have to watch your parameters because they can fluctuate a lot more. especiall salinity and if someting dies ammonia, nitrates. once you get more experienced then maby try the nano besides a qtank is always a good idea.