10% Vs. 20% Water Changes?

moy

What is better for the tank (fish and corals)?? :confused:
Is is better to do a 10% water change every two weeks?? OR
Is it better to do a 20% water change every 3 weeks??
:eek: :rolleyes: :confused: :mad:

guppie

After the tank cycles, I do a 10% every two weeks for about the first six months, then after that I do a 20% every two weeks, this has been working great for me for many years. Good Luck

nm reef

hiya's.....personally I try to stick to 10% every 2 weeks.......this week the fowlr/ls....next week the reef.......done it like this since end of cycle.....seems to be working for me

perps

I do a water change every week.. Due to evaporation and such in my 55 gallon i usually end up putting 10 gallon of fresh water back in every week.. (SUN) .. Usally cause that the day i go to the store anc pick up fish/rocks/etc.. and that way i keep up on my maintainance.. For all those chemicals that have to be added once a week. Sunday is the day it all gets done..

broomer5

Moy,
As you can see you'll get a lot of different answers on this topic.
Sort of depends on the load of each tank, number of fish & corals, type of filtration, live rock, sand, and most important - your water test results ;)
Some folks follow a pretty strict water changing routine, where as others may not.
I've read where some hobbyists do a 1% daily water change, and others do a 30% monthly.
I don't think there is a "right" way to do it, although I do favor more frequent with less volume water changes.
Personally I change at least 10-15% every 3-4 weeks on my tanks - and my water tests are almost always within acceptable range.
Large tanks - few fish - less changes required.
Smaller tanks - more fish - more changes may be necessary.
Brian
:cool:

ocellaris_keeper

What size is the tank? How many fish to you have? How many invertabrates do you have? Do you add essential elements with additives?
If you have a small tank a 20% water change may be dangerous if the water temp changes by more than 2 degrees each water change, if not it's up to your personal preference.
Brewski

actually i hardly do water changes, very rarely, so far had it set up since early march, and only did 1, i have a good skimmer, exclent filteration, just add weekly trace elements and fill up eveporated water and my tank is doing great, only like 5 ppm of nitrates even if that