10 watts Per Gallon-overkill?

pitbull01

Hey,
I am looking into a new lighting fixture for my tank, and I was wondering if 10 watts per gallon was overkill. I want to do clams and sps's and maybe a few LPS's. This fixture, the outer orbit is 560 watts, where the aqualight is 492...but at my LFS, the outer orbit is over 150 bucks cheaper!! Do you think 10 watts a gallon is TOO much??
-Adam

sharkbyte1023

I have a 75 gallon lit with 2 400 watt m.h. and 220 watts of vho. I have sps and clams on the top level but i also have clams almost on the bottom as well. I also have a few lps and ricordia placed through out. I have a fiji yellow leather placed high and a umbrella placed midway. Everything has been growing very well for over a year now with no ill effects from so much light. Just keep in mind if you don't already have a chiller you may need one. Good luck!

pitbull01

sharkbyte, I dont have a sump nor do I have my tank drilled, so how can I get a chiller? Can I get like a hang on one or something?
-Adam

sharkbyte1023

I personally don't know of any other way to do a chiller. They are either flow through or coil drop in. Are your lights going to be on feet? If they are off the top somewhat and your house is cool enough you may not need one. I keep my reef at 78. There is alot of debate on temp. Most acros come from much warmer waters but i have had success at 77-78. The biggest thing is not to allow the temp to swing to much. Constant change is too stressful. Keep it consistant and you should be ok. Good luck to you!

pitbull01

Yes, it will be on legs. Our house is usually about 65 degrees, we like it a little on the cooler side. I probably wont be getting a chiller because of that.
-Adam