100+ PPM Nitrate .. are these the problem?

fshhub

i got a syringe form an auto part store
and used a tube form a can of air(which i use for my computer) and cut it at an angle to form my needle
nothing special, just make sure it is one that never had anything in it

nacl-h2o

Some corals and many fish can tolerate high nitrates, especiely if they were gradualy increased. What is your water source? I would take some of my tank water and source water to the LFS and let them verify the readings with their test before I proceed any further. You my need a different source of water for changes or maybe just a new test kit. And take the advice above and get rid of those aiptasia before they become a problem.

oceanjumper

Besides, your substrate looks crystal clear on the picture. I envy you for that. As such, I also think your test kit is wrong.
I got my "aiptasia" syringe from the pharmacist at Wallmart for $0.15
Peppermint shrimps didn't do anything for me (not even the small ones). Perhaps b/c my aipt. stalks where in the front of my tank where the shrimps did not like to come. Concentrated kalkwasser however.... whiped them out!

jferrier

If you can get your water in check and if you have no hostile tank mates a couple peppermint shrimp will usually eat the aptasia.
As for the nitrate problem. What kind of filtration do you have?
You might try adding some well established live sand and some macroalgae.

xsfspd

To answer a few questions I have a HI-S RO filter from Kent Marine that I use to filter the water that goes in the tank. I have checked it for PH but maybe I'll check it for nitrates as well just to be sure.
I am on my way to the LFS for some shrim and to have the water tested. I'll post the outcome.
Thanks everyone!

xsfspd

The results: I had a LFS test my water and it's more like 10ppm NOT 100 as my test indicated. Tossed the kit! Good call guys and gals!!! Also purchased a peppermint shrimp and a copper banded butterfly to help in ridding my tank of the aptasia.
Thanks again!:D

xsfspd

Originally posted by BigMac
Your putting yourself in a bad spot here. These are fish that should be left to experts only. Your tank is too small for this fish.

Just curious why this fish should be left to experts?

malibu599

I have been battling nitrates for awhile. I have calupera algae in the tank the were at 100ppm now they are down to 30 ppm. I used the nitrate reducer bacteria. I always used DI water when I do water changes. I am running a Fluval 304 with a Lee's protein skimmer. any suggestions

xsfspd

Originally posted by mahoney
I don't know what others will say but maybe don't vacume your live sand.

Why is that?

A

alti

if you have crushed coral you have to vacuum it. if it is a fine sand then you dont vacuum. live sand should have enough critters to keep the sand clean by itself. the detrius usually doesnt penetrate the fine sand anyway. if you do vacuum your sand all you are doing is removing the sand and beneficial critters you have.

xsfspd

Originally posted by MALIBu599
I have been battling nitrates for awhile. I have calupera algae in the tank the were at 100ppm now they are down to 30 ppm. I used the nitrate reducer bacteria. I always used DI water when I do water changes. I am running a Fluval 304 with a Lee's protein skimmer. any suggestions

Mine appear to be at 10ppm and I do a 5 gal water change every week with RO water. I am also using a product galled Algone the is suposed to help with phosphates, trites and trates. I run my protein skimmer 24/7 (make sure to add trace elements) and I also run a UV and a cheap penguin 300 filter. My tank started as fresh water I kept all the same equipment when I converted it to Salt water.
As far as the nitrates go water changes helped me the most. I just did a 10 gallon change (45gal) yesterday. We'll see how that does and return to 5 gal a week changes. I also have a plenum that I think helps.

xsfspd

Originally posted by alti
if you have crushed coral you have to vacuum it. if it is a fine sand then you dont vacuum. live sand should have enough critters to keep the sand clean by itself. the detrius usually doesnt penetrate the fine sand anyway. if you do vacuum your sand all you are doing is removing the sand and beneficial critters you have.

I see. Well in that case I will not vacum as I have crushed corel on the plenum then a layer of basic door screening and then fine sand on top.

flamehawk

Congrats on figuring out the problem.
As far as copperband BF, I agree you should take it back. They are very difficult to acclimate and your tank is definately too small for it. Extremely sensitive. I've never had any success w/ them. I personally would get a royal gramma or dwarf angel and sit back and enjoy.

jferrier

I agree the copperband is quite delicate. Butterflies aren't always easy to feed. The peppermints should do the trick.

entice59

my nitrate readings are 40 and looks a little higher then that, is there any product i can buy to fix this problem, i have a crap load of macro algae but it seems thats not doing enough, is there any suggestions you guy recommend?
If i drop my nitrate levels down a lot in a day, will that shock the fish in anyway?
this is out of topic but i bought the kent's superbuffer and heres what it says : Kent Superbuffer-dKH is a specially formulated pH buffer and alkalinity or carbonate hardness (KH) builder, designed to adjust the pH of saltwater aquariums to the range of 8.0 to 8.3 and build the KH. Superbuffer-dKH is the finest buffer available for either fish only or reef type marine aquariums and is designed to mix clear with little or no cloudiness or precipitation
ok so if i put it in my tank when my ph is above 8.0 will this mean it will raise my ph to .3 times what it is now? *for example if my ph was 8.1 and i added it in; will it be 8.4 or will it maintain the level of .3? im really confused... =P