1000's of shrimp in my tank!!

shrmnator

Last night I saw about 100 of these things.. Tonite, there was more like 1000!!!
I think they are mysid shrimp.. Not sure where they came from.. The only shrimp I have more then one of in my tank is peppermint shrimp.. Other then that, I have one coral banded.

shrmnator

they have been swimming around like crazy every night for a few nights (that I have noticed.. maybe longer).. I guess if it keeps up, I will begin to sell them!

shrmnator

Originally Posted by Jmick
their population will go up and down depending on the food supply and preditors.
"Mysid shrimp are very cannibalistic so if they are not fed every day they will consume each other."
last night there was 100.. tonite about 1000.. maybe more.. looks like I got a good spawning ground for em somewhere... they are known to live 6 to 8 months life expectancy.. :notsure:
:happyfish

sleasia

OK this is also why its sometimes a problem feeding live food to the fish...here's a confession...in my newbie days....not so long ago..the lfs said feed them brine shrimp...I didn't realize he was talking about frozen shrimp...I didn't even know they had a refridgerator...all I saw was brine shrimp eggs, so I bought them, hatched them, and fed them to the fish....well in a month or so, I had a 55 gallon tank of brine shrimp :scared: and I wasn't even 5, I was in the 40 club.

sleasia

by the way, I realize you probably did not feed any live food. these can also be hitchhikers and probably were.

shrmnator

well, good news.. the shrimp are making it into the next larvae stage and getting a little bigger now.. they are up to 1/4" in size from end to end and colored about the same as coraline.. a definate reddish.. Anyone but me think that these just might be my peppermint shrimp spawning?? The pics below are with full flash.. even the coraline looks whitish, so dont pay too much attention to color, but they are definately reddish..
Anyone ever bred peppermint shrimp before?

K

kimc

I've seen those in my tank and always thought they were little pep's. I have seen a couple of my pepppermint shimps carrying their eggs so I just assumed the were peps. They always hatch at night and only last for the evening... My fish enjoy the treat!!!

viper_930

The ones in the first two pics look like pep shrimp larvae, but can't really tell with the recent pics. Good luck raising them if they are peps! Not a lot of people have been successful.

mikeyjer

Originally Posted by ViPeR_930
The ones in the first two pics look like pep shrimp larvae, but can't really tell with the recent pics. Good luck raising them if they are peps! Not a lot of people have been successful.
Yea, I haven't heard a lot of success of people raising those fry....Good Luck!!! :happyfish

shrmnator

Originally Posted by ViPeR_930
if those are larvae in the first 2 pics, then they are now living longer to get bigger due to the absence of fish in my tank.. nothing to eat them now, so they have the run of the tank unless they happen to come too close to a coral!!
Im just havin fun with my tank for sure.. all the different surprises.. they are most likely mysid shrimp, but must have came as a hitch hiker if they are mysid.. either way, i think its way cool!

shrmnator

whatever they are, it was snowing tonite in the tank with em.. i believe they are mysid.. gotta love free fish food!! i havent spot fed my sun coral in months and its doin great!!