100gal stocking suggestion

ninny

Wanting some thougts around a stocking list for a 100gal FOWLR tank.
I really want a Lion fish, a frog fish and a lunar wrasse. What else do you think will go well. Do not want to over populate.

chewwy

Well since this will be an "aggressive tank" with the lionfish, make sure you have ample amounts of filtration (aka a good wet/dry system) or something sufficient to knock out all the waste their going to be producing.
But anyways, onto the fish. Those sound good, you could toss an eel in there maybe. Like a snowflake eel, I always thought they were cool. Maybe a yellow tang too?

ninny

Not really into eels...To much worring about them getting out. Thought about a huma huma trigger and a porcupine puffer. Hopefullly those 5 fish won't be to much for the tank.

deejeff442

those fish except the wrasse are lazy swimmers .just make alot of waste as long as you add them one at a time maybe a month btween for the system to build up bacteria they should be fine.what are you going to do about filtration?

chewwy

I always heard triggers and lions dont get along sometimes? The trigger will nip at the lionfish's fins. Maybe add the lion first so he'll have been there first, might help control the aggression.
And yes I second DeeJeff's statement about adding them slowly.

aquaknight

Yep, generally no triggers and lionfish mixed in the same tank. Video of why;
http://s136.photobucket.com/albums/q172/barbianj/?action=view&current=MVI_2067.mp4
The Lunare will likely outgrow that 100gal tank pretty quickly. I had a Goldbar wrasse, which is a smaller relative of the Lunare, and he was too much for my 6' 125gal.
Frogfish, more commonly called Anglers, are generally kept in species only tanks. They will often attempt to eat other fish, even bigger then themselves.
Humu is a good choice, but not with the Lion.
The Porcupine puffer grows to be quite the large fish, and he'll put quite the substantial bioload on that 100gal. You'll need very good filtration.

ninny

Right now I plan on having a Magnum 350 pro, a lifegaurd fluidized sand filter, and a CPR bak pak skimmer. I might have to go to an angler only tank(since they have become my fav. aggressive fish), but I would sure like to have at least a lion fish.