10g acrylic tank I made today

richard rendos

I use a table saw...works great but you gotta use the right kind of blade. Thin kerf with at least 60-80 teeth. After you cut, sand it with 240 grit sand paper.
Did you water test it yet? Did it bow out?

heyoo

Originally posted by JoeZ
Bronco...so how do you cut your actylic? I've done jigsaw which proves to be less-than-straight, dremel with same results, and have yet to find a good means for cutting 1/4"
I'm going to also build a 240 in acrylic hopefully, but I certainly won't make cuts for that!

I had no problem cutting 1/4" acrylic with my table saw. If you've got one - or access to one, just make sure you get a blade for plastic. I ordered mine from McMaster-Carr.

joez

Thanks heyoo. Unfortunally I learned the hard way and don't need to make any more cuts, otherwise I'd have gone with that from the begining :(

slick

I thought I would throw in my .02 here. I cut 1/8 plexi glass in a table saw. I know it's not the same stuff but thought I would throw it out there. Good luck with all your projects.

cbr929

HELLO EVERYONE I JUST GOT DONE WITH A
DIVIDER FOR MY SUMP AND I USED 3/8 BECAUSE
I GOT IT FOR FREE. IF YOU HAVE A LOCAL MACHINE
SHOP THEY WILL CUT AND MILL HOLES/SLOTS WITH
NO PROBLEM AT ALL. DONT THINK IT WILL COST MUCH
I WORK AT A MACHINE SHOP AND WAS ABLE TO DO IT
MYSELF ONLY TOOK MY ABOUT 15 MIN TO COMPLETE.
IF YOU TRY TO GET ONE TO DO IT ON THE SIDE FOR CASH
YOU COULD ALSO SAVE MONEY. GOOD LUCK WITH YOUR
PROJECTS. IF I CAN HELP ANYONE I WILL BE GLAD TO.

broncofish

Please take off your caplocks, and thanks I wish I lived near you(or owned a machine shop :D ) Welcome to the board I'm sure you will be a very valuable member to the board with your machining expertise.