10gal upgrading to 29gal

zman

I got a 10 gallon tank a few weeks ago. Last week i got ich. My brother is getting a new tank and will be giving me his old 29 gallon tank. I treated my 10 gal tank with copper and have been feeding the fish garlic soaked brine shrimp. How will i know when the ich is gone. In a week or two i will be setting up the 29 gallon. I wasn't sure if i should start completely fresh with new sand and new water or if i should use the sand and the water from the 10 gallon. And if i started fresh how long would i have to let it sit before i can start putting LR, fish, crabs, and snails in. Just hoping to get some feedback. Thanks!
Zman

karajay

WELCOME

Do not use anything from a tank that has been treated with copper. Once it is in your tank, it cannot effectively be removed. Copper residual will kill all future inverts.
I would start from scratch in your new tank. Use uncured LR from the beginning to start your cycle. Should be about 4-6 weeks before you add livestock. Are you familiar with how the nitrogen cycle works?
What kind of fish are in your 10g?

zman

right now i have 3 damsels they are blue with the yellow tail...i forget what they are called, and a yellow watchman goby. and probably about 8 pounds of live rock. Not really sure how the nitrogen cycle works. So i shouldn't use any of the old live rock in my new tank? oh i bought a rhena filstar xp1 filter to put in my new tank.
Zman

karajay

Originally posted by Zman
right now i have 3 damsels they are blue with the yellow tail...i forget what they are called

Yellowtail :D
Nitrifying bacteria act to break down fish waste in your tank so that it doesn't become toxic. In order to acquire this beneficial bacteria, you need to start the cycle by adding an ammonia source. Ammonia levels will spike and then fall back to zero(about 7-10 days). When it does, it will cause a rise in nitrites. These nitrites will be present for a few weeks and then it will fall to zero. The end result is leftover nitrates. When you have no ammonia, no nitrite and a small amount of nitrate your cycle will be complete. Your tank would then be able to handle the waste of your livestock.
I believe your LR is probably now dead rock from the use of the copper. Do NOT use it. It will leach copper into your new tank.

zman

how long does the copper residue stay in a running tank? I have read that it only stays in the tank for about a month or so. so total how long does the nitrogen cycle take to complete and how will i know when it is done?
Zman

karajay

Originally posted by Zman
how long does the copper residue stay in a running tank?

Forever. I'm serious, it doesn't ever come out.
You can start your cycle with uncured LR. The die-off would produce the needed ammonia. Or toss a raw cocktail shrimp from the grocery store in there. Leave it in there until your ammonia spikes (3-4 days). From the initial ammonia spike to a finished cycle (ammonia= 0, nitrite=0, nitrate= less than 20) takes about 6 weeks, sometimes less.

zman

thanks for the feedback. Would the xp1 filter be sufficient enough for my 29 gallon? It is rated up to 45, but im not sure of the quality of the filstars. What is your opinion? what should i do with my yellowtails.....my brother is thinking of using the 10 gal as a QT...where should i put them if we have to take it down and move the tank? and how will i know if the ich is gone?
Zman

karajay

I don't like to recommend that people use damsels to cycle a tank, but most damsels are hardy enough to live through it. If you absolutely need to, you could probably move the damsels into your new tank. Do not put your goby in the new tank though, or you will kill it. If you do use the damsels to cycle with, make sure they are healthy and the ich is gone. I suggest you post about your ich problem in the disease forum. They can advise you on how long it takes for copper treatment to be effective. I'm not sure.
Alternatively, you could probably take your damsels back to the LFS for store credit if you don't want to keep them. They can get aggressive and territorial and may wind up killing each other anyway.
I'm not familiar with your type of filter...sorry.