110 gal lights for anemones?

mechslave

I just set up a 110 gal tank with dims: 18deepx28tallx48wide. The tank came with 2 32W aquarium lights. What kind of additional lights will I need to healthily keep anemones and corals? Can anyone be specific with what models and setups they are using on similar sized tanks with success?
Tank is set up as of yesterday with live sand. Waiting on it to cycle a little and will add damsels soon....
Thanks!

forcrz6

Well from what I know you will need Around 2 to 3 watts per gallon And it is suggested that you get Metal Halide lighting for Anenomies But there are some that will tell you that PC (power Compact) is good - 2 to 3 watts per gallon. That is personal Prefrence though weather to got MH or PC I will not say that you need to go w/ this Only that it is recomended that you have 2 to 3 watts per gallon
But I can tell you that you really need morlighting in there for any fish right now you ar running about 5 to 6 watts per gallon if not less. And I would upgrade to PC at the least for the fish

kdfrosty

IMO the only anemone that might have a chance under anything but MH is a Bubble Tip. Even then it needs strong PCs, VHO, or T5

kdfrosty

IMO there are better brands and better deals than the one you pointed out. Something especially nice would be retrofitting your lighting into a canopy.

mikeyjer

Originally Posted by KDFrosty
IMO there are better brands and better deals than the one you pointed out. Something especially nice would be retrofitting your lighting into a canopy.
I agree to this, plus I think he needs a bit higher watt for the MH though. His tank is a bit deep for 150 isn't it? He would have to place corals more near to the surface with 150. I think it would be better to go with 250 HQI. All depending on what you want, plus I would go a bit higher then pc by going with a VHO combo, I LOVE my VHO's!!!! Retrofitting would be a lot less expansive. I bought mine as a hood, it's costly!!!! :happyfish