110 Gallon glass break at 1AM!

badoleross

At 1am this moring I was awaken by my water alarm on my 110 reef. :scared: It seems a rock had shifted cracking the rear glass. I had a crack going from side to side about 6inches off the bottom of the tank. I guess I was losing about 3 gallons per minute.
Right now all of my LR and fish are in a 55 gallon, all of my corals are in a bucket, and my LS is in several 5 gallon buckets topped of with saltwater. Tomorrow I am headed to the LFS to purchase a 90 gallon tank. When I put the LS and LR back in the tank and fill it wil I see an ammonia spike from the LS that will endanger the fish?

promisetbg

Man..that stinks. Sorry to hear that. You may go through a cycle because the substrate layers have been disturbed. Can you keep the fish where they are and just monitor the water parameters until they look good? Keep circulation up,feed them minimally, and perform water changes on the tank they are in every few days to keep water quality high. Just as if they were in a QT. I would even place some of the rock in there to give them some bacteria and security.

badoleross

Reading around the forums the recommendation seems to be to only replace about 2 inches of the sandbase along with the LR and corals and i shoud be OK regarding ammonia. I will probobly see a small spike anyway. Need to read up and see if there is a way to get the remainder of the sand back in the tank.........

oceana

Originally Posted by BadOleRoss
Reading around the forums the recommendation seems to be to only replace about 2 inches of the sandbase along with the LR and corals and i shoud be OK regarding ammonia. I will probobly see a small spike anyway. Need to read up and see if there is a way to get the remainder of the sand back in the tank.........

IMO use this chance to rinse it. take about half the bucket and put it in your tank. then take a hose run it into the bucket and let the water flow through it and out over the tops. dont worry the sand will stay in the bucket. stir it around slowly and let the water run clear. yes i know i know this will kill the sand but it will also clean it out so you can add it back to the system. dont worry about it even alittle bit. with your live rock and the sand you already put in the tank it will be just as live as it was in very short amount of time.
once i pull sand from a tank this is what i do. i never put it all back in without a rinse.
gl to ya
PS: i'm sure someone will come along and say something about use tap water to rinse the sand. dont worry about it. you are not puting the water in the tank and the residue left behind is not enough to be talking about.

badoleross

I purchased about 60lbs of new sand and plan on using a small amout of my old sand to seed the new stuff. I still have a refugium that was tied in to the tank with plenty of life in it that will help the tank along. As for the remained of the old sand i plan on cleaning it throughly, drying it out and then storing it in buckets in the event I can use it at a later date on another tank. Of course I will monitor any tank I add this to closely for any weird spikes of anything.