110gal lighting 60" long tank

hmmhmm

i found a good deal for dual 175w MH's and dual Fluorescent bulbs...not sure if they're 40w or 140w yet though...the tank is 24" tall by 18" wide by 60"...if the bulbs turn out to be only 40w will this setup still be ok to use for most corals?

acrylic51

The flourescent lighting really shouldn't be a problem....What you might want to consider is upgrading the 175's to 250's, depending what your planning on keeping......Your using the flourescents as supplemental lighting

hmmhmm

i don't get a chance to upgrade them as it is now...its on clearance, a retro all for 200 bucks...should i just get it and upgrade the ballast down the road?

carshark

is the setup power compact? or VHO? or T-5? really 250 is minimum MH for a 110. to give you an idea im going to be running 2x250w MH 20,000K and 2x54w true blue actinic T-5 for supplement on my 75, and that still wont allow many SPS and LPS. some of them will work and maybe a clam depending on placement, mostly softies is what Im looking at.

hmmhmm

i'm waiting on a reply for the specs on the Fluorescent bulb type...everywhere else i look at a retro for the same setup is either VHO or NO for twice the price as this deal...i guess i will keep looking around....its hard to find a good deal for a 60" setup..

reefraff

What exactly are you getting for the 2 bills? It sounds like a great deal BUT 175 watt lamps will limit they types of critters you can keep in a 24X60 tank.

hmmhmm

no 60" bulbs included...comes with reflector, mh lamps, ballasts, sockets, end caps.
i get to pick between:
BlueLine 65K
BlueLine 10K+ (14K
BlueLine 10K Super White
BlueLine 20K
Ushio 10K (+$15.00
Aqualine Buschke 10K (+$15.00)
XM 10K
XM 15K
XM 20K
for bulbs...what would be best for keeping basic soft corals and beginers?

reefraff

I'd probably go with the XM 10K for good growth as long as you will be running actinics with it.

acrylic51

Originally Posted by carshark
is the setup power compact? or VHO? or T-5? really 250 is minimum MH for a 110. to give you an idea im going to be running 2x250w MH 20,000K and 2x54w true blue actinic T-5 for supplement on my 75, and that still wont allow many SPS and LPS. some of them will work and maybe a clam depending on placement, mostly softies is what Im looking at.
What's the depth of your tank your trying to light????

acrylic51

Hey Carshark I hope I'm reading this correct but you have a 75 gallon and your saying 2 250W MH will limit you on what you keep in your tank????

m000240

Yeah, I thought 2x250w MH and some supplemental would be enough for a 75 gal, thats what I was going to go with, am I wrong?
Alex
Honolulu, HI

hmmhmm

60x18x24deep 110gal approx...old thick glass tank...got it w/ stand, wet/dry, pumps and cheap lighting for 300 bucks...i found a dual 400watt MH w/ 60" VHO's for a good deal...i'll do that w/ the 10k XM MH's and build a canopy to house them...

acrylic51

CarShark 250W MH are more than plenty for a 75 gallon tank........
HmmHmm don't waste your money on the 400W MH your just going to run your electric bill sky high.....If you want the juice of a 400W MH go with the DE 250......but of course 250 would serve just fine for the tank and shouldn't have any problems......