???

liz s.

Any reason why my blue yellow tailed damsel would attack my Regal Tang? They're the same size...and the damsel seems to hate Dori...

razoreqx

Originally posted by Liz S.
Any reason why my blue yellow tailed damsel would attack my Regal Tang? They're the same size...and the damsel seems to hate Dori...

Damsels are so territorial... If it were me, I would get that damsel out of the tankl... Its ICK or other disease waiting to happen when that regal gets stressed out..

liz s.

I thought damsels were nice....! I have five of them...all different. And they get along fine with one another...Are the other damsels gonna start pickin' on her too?????

razoreqx

Originally posted by Liz S.
I thought damsels were nice....! I have five of them...all different. And they get along fine with one another...Are the other damsels gonna start pickin' on her too?????

Grabbed this from another source... Here is some info on Damsels..
Damselfish belong to the Pomacentridae family. Most available fish belong to one of the following genera: Abudefduf, Dascyllus, Chromis, Chrysiptera, Paraglyphidon, Pomacentrus, and Stegastes. Damselfish are closely related to Clownfish, which are also a member of the Pomacentridae family. Damselfish are found throughout the world, and are almost always associated with coral reefs. The average size of most Damsels in captivity is around two inches, but in the wild the largest member of this family reaches over 14 inches in length.
Damselfish are often used to break in or cycle a new aquarium. It is important to remember that even though these fish are hardy and can handle the adverse conditions of a new aquarium, they may become quite aggressive among themselves, and toward other tankmates. Most of these fish stay in small shoals in the wild when young, breaking away from the group as they grow, and eventually become solitary as adults. When dealing with several Damsels in one aquarium, plenty of rockwork and hiding places are necessary in order to keep quarrels to a minimum. The Chromis are a genus of Damsels that are schooling fish. They do well in captivity in groups of the same species.
No significant markings or distinguishing characteristics differentiate males from females. Damselfish can be successfully spawned in captivity. The male Damsel is usually responsible for the care and maintenance of the eggs after the fish have spawned.

liz s.

AAARRRGGGHHH!!!! So now what? I have a special ordered,waited on forever, just finally came in Dori that I need to do somethign with...or just the damsel? the others seem to like her fine...

stacyt

I would get all the damsels out of the tank. Ounce they become established it will be difficult to add anything else to the tank. Also as they get older they will probably start fighting amongst themselves.

razoreqx

Originally posted by StacyT
I would get all the damsels out of the tank. Ounce they become established it will be difficult to add anything else to the tank. Also as they get older they will probably start fighting amongst themselves.

I totally agree with Stacy on this. You need to make Dori as comfortable as possible in order to keep her healthy.

liz s.

They were the first ones in...and this has been the first issue...
I'm getting a bit frustrated here...THank you...will remove damsels...

cindyski

yep, get rid of them, my 2 yellow tails killed my royal gramma within 24 hours

i was informed the yellow tails would be fine and it was the others that would be a problem, but nope, i guess they are all devils.

moto757

yellowtails :mad: i started with those my lfs guy said yeah get three after a month i didn't know any better so i did everything was going fine so i got a couple more fish over the next month next thing i know it is like a mini war going on and i am like wait the !!!! he said oh yeah the don't really like any other fish so i had to play the old catch them with a net i said no more listening to him and i had went and got a couple books and came here now i know plus i can read a lot at work

stacyt

I only have 1 damsel and he is in my 240 along with several larger more aggresive fish. He holds in own, and bullys some of the much bigger fish.
Also removing the damsels will reduce the stress on the tang. If they keep harrassing the tang, it will probably cause it to stress, and then an outbreak of ich would be most likely.

donmgicwon

Originally posted by moto757
i went and got a couple books and came here now i know plus i can read a lot at work
[/B]
That's real comforting.
Just DON'T let any terrorists through will ya:help: :scared:

insight

dang guess i'll be removing my domino damsel i believe...i noticed it was picking on other fish and from what you guys have been saying the longer its in the tank the more territorial? plus its kinda ugly anyways..thanks for the info everyone.

liz s.

RICH-Dori is a very pretty name for a very pretty fish!:)
The Damsels will be returning to the store today...all five of them:( My tank will look so lonely....
I did, however, get a marvelous emerald crab to make me feel better....even if he did pinch the fire out of me...

liz s.

yes sir...will drop them off on my way out of town...i hate to do it...but Dori cost more! sorta makes me sad...but, i never shoulda got them to begin with....we learn as we go huh?
Have a wonderful day...Happy Easter...gotta get it together and get outta town...lots of eggs to dye today...