12 gallon jbj nano overheating

vmartino

Hey, I'm new to the forums but not really new to saltwater fish. My 12 gallon nano cube is running at about 85 degrees right now and i can not seem to get it to lower. It's running a zoomed 212 powerhead set on the lowest setting, and has no heater at all because i had to take the 50 watt heater out since the tank was just getting too hot. When i turn the powerhead off for a day or two, it does not seem to affect the temperature. What do you guys think i should do? I've never seen a nano that needed a chiller but this thing is running hot as hell.

reefer545

I had to buy a chiller for my 24. I did, because as soon as my apartent got above 80 degrees (mainly in the summer) my tank skyrocketed to 84ish. I had to blast the ac to keep my apartment cool, so a chiller in retrospect, has been the best component I have ever bought. It is not wierd for nanos to run way hot. Check how hot your place is, placement of tank (in the sun?), etc.

gmann1139

What's the ambient temp?
How many hours a day are the lights running?
Are there any fans in the hood, and are they functioning?
If you're in a currently 'cold' climate, is it near a heater?

I have the JBJ 28 gallon, lost 6 fish before realizing that my temps were move 4-6 degrees from morning to night. I got a chiller for it, and all is perfect now, absolutely no temp flucuations now.

vmartino

the nano is in my reptile room, where the temperature stays between 75-77 degrees pretty much all the time. its not near a heater or anything, but i think it was just that i had my lights on late last night because i was decorating my tank a little bit, and then turned them back on at around 7 30 in the morning, leaving only about 6 hours of night time. The fans are working and everything. The temperature after i left the lights off all day went back to 79, so i think im okay. just gonna keep monitoring the tank and see what kind of fluctuations occur.

buy a little fan to blow onto the water. I bought a small one online and it drops my temp from 5 - 10 degrees during summer.