12 *new* pics!

unknown

That is a awsome looking tank.
Do you think we could get some shots INSIDE the hood like of lighting hieght and such.
Vince.

mbrands

Originally posted by saltymom
How in the world did u guyz end up in AZ!!??!! LOL

Have you compared our weather lately?
Just kidding. We both went to Purdue and then found jobs out west. We wanted to try something totally different than Indy, Chicago, etc.
Originally posted by saltymom

Yes, he is in with corals..and Ive never seen him mess with anything. But as u can see...we keep him fed well.

Thats exactly why I was asking. I've got a chocolate chip (Fat Joe) and I was curious if I fed him frequently, which I do, if I had a chance of keeping any corals. :D

kogle

Hey, the tank is looking quite nice with the improved canopy and MH's. BJ told me about the flame angel. That sucks! I love the way your tank greets you when you walk through the front door.:happyfish

americo

Originally posted by KOgle
Hey, the tank is looking quite nice with the improved canopy and MH's. BJ told me about the flame angel. That sucks! I love the way your tank greets you when you walk through the front door.:happyfish

i was wondering how hard it was when you move? im planning on moving soon and dont have any idea how im gonna do it:notsure: bi the way, awesome tank you have

francis

We will be moving from another house also. Any tip you can give to suceed on the transport and moving my tank as well? i only got few LR, one long tentacle anemone, 2 sebaes, one choco chip star fish, 1 damsel. My tank was only 2 months old. Decided to add up more of LR after we moved. Appreciate your kind assistance. Thanks!

saltymom

thanks for the compliments everyone.
Samm..Im sorry, I dont have a pic of that coral beauty up close. Hes kinda shy...and his buddy the flame angel just died the other night..Im not sure if they stressed over the MH upgrades or what happen.. We did that over Friday Saturday and Sunday..(even thou we arent leaving them on long here at first) but the tank was in the dark for almost two dayz while we worked on everything....I think it could have been the varnish fumes from the new canopy...but we lost the Flame and one green reef chromis on Tuesday. Everybody was alittle ill acting for a couple of days, hiding, gasping.. they were obviously stressed about something. We did a good size water change..and They all finally have come around today, swimming in view and eating good...thankfully noone else died today!
As for the moving of the monster...
I might have a few pointers and maybe u can benefit from our mistakes! lol
The smaller the tank, the easier this had to have been..cuz moving this 180 was a huge job. It took every bit of 14 - 16 hrs plus.
It was a giant project, You need HELPERS!! alot of planning and prep went into it, and it sat in our old house for about a week while we decided what the plan was and to even get up the courage to tackle it.
We had no idea what was going to happen...and we still had unexpected issues to come up. Like, Example...at 3 am when the plumbing was going back together under the tank..... a busted fitting! Home Depot was not open for us! So, extra plumbing parts should b on hand! We hadda use black tape...was ALL we had til morning!!
We made alot of extra RO and Saltwater before hand, so we would have enuff water to top the tank off of water we lost in the move. ( was a GREAT idea 2points for the hubby!)
We got a couple of those big plastic horse watering troughs from the farm store, one was for the bulk of the water out of the tank and the rocks..the other was for the rest of the water and all the fish n inverts. a load of five gallon buckets for the sand n water to keep it moist and totes w lids for the fagil corals....and all went into an enclosed trailer. Luckily we had that trailer too, cuz it rained the day we moved it. COLD N WET..and MUDDY in the yard..ughh(try to watch the weather channel, it really makes a BIG difference) When we got here, we ran extension cords to the trailer to plug in heaters, lights, air etc.
Dont under estimate the help of strong arms, offer to buy your friends pizza n beer so they will help u carry buckets of sand! LOL We used a pump to pump most of the water in and back out... noone wanted to carry 400 plus gallons of water n sand back n forth that day! The tank even almost got dropped on its way out of the trailer. rain and sweaty palms dont mix! The dude luckily smashed his toe instead of our tank.
When pumping the water back into the tank from the trailer...noone thought to hold the hose in the tank and when the pump was kicked on, the hose flew outta the tank sprayed saltwater all over the walls, ceiling..everywhere!!.....and we flooded our new livingroom hardwood pretttty good. (another reason it was a good idea for the extra water made up!)
It wasnt fun! It was kinda sickening, because of the thousands of dollars we have in the thing...and at every turn it seemed like something else was going wrong! There were a lot of words exchanged that day..and alot of bad words said!
Its really amazing that nothing died because I thought it took way too long to get the thing set back up. My fish were in this trailer for hours n hours...outside!!.....and I thought the water temp dropped too low. The most disturbing part was having to stack the rocks back up, not smash any coral..get everything to stay sturdy in the dark..and then adding the fish and inverts to the murky mess...ughh..I had nightmares when I went to sleep!! But, Ill tell ya..they didnt break with ick ..nothing died as a result of the move.. The next morning the water settling nicely and the fish were out n about...it was really amazing. Im proud of us, even thou we could have killed each other during it!!!!
any questions? If we can do it..you can do it!! LOL...and if I think of anything else helpful..Ill post that too

francis

Thanks for the big help saltymom! now i have an idea in mind! just got to do it right and buy more buckets, gallons and heavyduty plastics. :D

saltymom

no, those flat pieces are actually lace rock..we found em in the bin at the pet store. The tonga rock..is on the very bottom...Ill get some better pics of it and post

thea

nice goldstripe....just got one for myself a couple days ago.....40 bucks.......rip off...nice tank

unknown

Are we ever going to see the inside hood pics?? I am interesed on how you set your lighting up.
Vince.

saltymom

Hey Vince...Im very sorry... I have to have help to get that thing up and get some good pictures of it. I didnt mean to ignore the request, but...heres my excuse!
Im not very swift on my feet yet.. I wrecked my car on the 13th n have been recovering from two broken feet! Been almost been a month ago now..but Ive been very limited on how much I can do! ..and standing on a chair propping that hood up isnt somethin I can do alone right now.
....and thats Y I havent posted pics of the lighting yet. Sorry!
I ll get to it!
S~mom

unknown

Wow I feel Like an

[hr]
now for pushing the issue.
I would love to see the pics of your hood but i NO WAY would I want you to take even the chance of hurting your self.
When you get a chance just post them up here.
I will monitor the post and wait for the pics arrivel.
Vince.
hope you feel better soon!!

tennisace

In your second pick, what kind of clown is that in the back, i have one and ive had it for 8 years and have forgoten the name. Mine is about 4 inches big, he is the 2nd fish i ever got and the longest living. He is really big for a clown from what i have heard.