12" too shallow?

diy

Hey guys, I planning on building a new tank in a few weeks and I wanted to get your guy's input. Is 12" to shallow for a reef tank? the dimessions are 36x24x12.
Thanks

subielover

Depends on what you wanna do. I think that would be a really cool size to work with, it certainly would be great for clams

wangotango

+2 on clams and LPS. Most SPS would just grow right out of the water. If you get a cap to grow in a cup formation those are always cool to see from the top.
-Justin

diy

sounds good.
WangoTango can you elaborate on the cup formation. I don't understand.
Thanks

rotarymagic

I think it could work quite well actually..
run a remote sandbed in a sump (also have a pvc/light diffuser rack to hold live rock above the sandbed)... and just put very short rock on the floor of the tank and go bare bottom..
here's the kicker...
glue frags of zoas/palys/cloves/rics to the floor... and then on the pieces of rock have the lps near the base and sps on the tops of the rock!!!
That'd be dope IMO... It'll be show quality once the tank fills in..

snakeblitz33

Personally, I would make it a lagoon tank. I would fill it with 6" of sand. Then I would put a few mangrove trees in it so they can grow big and have their root systems branch inside of the tank. Then I would have a couple of pearly jawfish, feather dusters, couple of brain corals, maybe an open brain. I would have a couple of urchins, a queen conch, snails, scarlett hermits. sea cucumbers, nudibranchs and feather dusters. Feather dusters everywhere! For the other fish, I would have a school of chromis I wouldn't have but maybe one large powerhead on the tank. No filtration besides the deep sandbed and the mangroves.
Something else that would be cool in this setup is to put a nice couple of light weight rocks in there to build up one side of the lagoon out of water and have a mangrove stick out between the rocks. I would then put in some land hermit crabs so they could go down and get wet and then come back up and bask in the light and have a place to stay. Not sure if they would be tooo agressive though, never done it before.
I personally like the more unique ideas.

diy

Originally Posted by saltwatersubie
http:///forum/post/2864967
Yes!!!! more subie lovers
What color??
White, I was t-boned by a teenage unlicensed driver a few months ago. its totaled, I'm saving for a white 05 sti...White FTW

mboswell1982

Originally Posted by SnakeBlitz33
http:///forum/post/2864145
Personally, I would make it a lagoon tank. I would fill it with 6" of sand. Then I would put a few mangrove trees in it so they can grow big and have their root systems branch inside of the tank. Then I would have a couple of pearly jawfish, feather dusters, couple of brain corals, maybe an open brain. I would have a couple of urchins, a queen conch, snails, scarlett hermits. sea cucumbers, nudibranchs and feather dusters. Feather dusters everywhere! For the other fish, I would have a school of chromis I wouldn't have but maybe one large powerhead on the tank. No filtration besides the deep sandbed and the mangroves.
Something else that would be cool in this setup is to put a nice couple of light weight rocks in there to build up one side of the lagoon out of water and have a mangrove stick out between the rocks. I would then put in some land hermit crabs so they could go down and get wet and then come back up and bask in the light and have a place to stay. Not sure if they would be tooo agressive though, never done it before.
snake, thats a helluva idea, i might just have to steal that on one of my builds

jpa0741

I love my shallow reef. My dim. are 96"x36"x16". My tank is all SPS. Use flat shelf rock if you can find it. The best part is it doesn't 400w mh to light it.

diy

Originally Posted by SnakeBlitz33
http:///forum/post/2864145

Thats a very unique idea but, this is a in wall set-up so the trees wont work. I think I will incorporate some of your ideas in the tank though.
thanks

mr_x

Originally Posted by jpa0741
http:///forum/post/2865194
I love my shallow reef. My dim. are 96"x36"x16". My tank is all SPS. Use flat shelf rock if you can find it. The best part is it doesn't 400w mh to light it.
yep. i have a 30 breeder, which is 12" tall. an easy tank to light. if i had the room i'd build a 4' x 8' x 12" tank for growing out stuff. i like lps, and they tend to sting each other and eat each other when they are too close.