12000k MH lighting, all I need?

junkf15

Is it true that with the new 12000 Kelvin MH bulb that I won't need any VHO, PC, or any other supplemental lighting? As I build my new hood, can I save the cost of VHO ballast and end caps, by just using that specific MH Bulb? I have duel 250 Watt MH ballast, in my hood I plan to place the bulbs 8-9 inches above the water level, in a 48" 55 gal rectangular tank (18" deep.) If I need the lighting, I want my corals to have it, but if I can save the cost of the VHO ballast and the extra electric bill by not using 220 watts of VHO lighting, I would like to do that too. What do you think?

option720

Hey "Junk" your name is exactly what everyones says about the the 12k bulbs....Junk. You would be better off purchasing a really good quality 10K bulb and putting in a coulpe of cheap NO Actinics. I am sure that others will tell you the same about the quality of the 12K, hope this helps. "do it right the first time"

green mariner

YEP, I had 'em, never again. They shift, much too quickly and don't provide enough light. Go for the 10,000k they provide a nice white light without actinic supps!
HTH
[ October 25, 2001: Message edited by: Green Mariner ]

adrian

Ill second or third that, not only do they shift in color but they are pretty dim to start. If your looking for a higer K bulb I would go with the 10K like Green said, Ushio makes a good one.

junkf15

It's unusual to have a unanimous opinion like this. Does anyone have a good experience with 12000K bulbs? I thought they gave you the greatest choice of corals, everything but the light loving SPS? Is this not true? Can I keep all the same corals with the 10000K bulbs too? BurnNSpy, what do you think of the 10000 Kelvin bulbs?

dhe420

Hey Junk, I currently run the 10k german hamilton, which are esentially the ushio.(250 watts). I like them a lot but feel actinic supplemantation is necessary. If you dont plan on keeping many sps corals, i would say go with the 20k radium. They provide a very nice color and actinic light would not be needed. It is purely personal preference. By the way, if ytou already have 2*250 mh you only need normal output actinic supplementation :)

burnnspy

I run only 12000K bulbs and have never had any problems. They maybe be dim compared to 6500K MH but they are more intense then any VHO or PC lamp.
BurnNSpy

snowcrab

just got my order in on 2 hamilton euro 14k bulbs fired them up they are very dim in comparison to the 10000k or 6500k bulbs but really highlight the tank -- will run them for a while to see if they have enough light output. will keep the comunity informed.

ironreef

fwiw you can use halides without supplement actinc but the vho/no/pc will still add more light. I've seen many tanks with fast good growth with 20k=sps farmers use them. Alantis is using 400w 6.5k and 400w hqi 10k usio on his prop tanks with same sump to compare. = same growth same color ect.. so far. Fwiw I like 6.5k iwaski but may try ushio. they look better But I'm waiting for the # to come out on ushio. maybe this winter. But i use 6.5k and 3-110w vho cuz the 6.5 I can get 2 for 1 ushio...almost.

junkf15

So I guess the question is, “How much PAL (photosynthetic available light) do I get from the 12000K bulbs, and is there another bulb temperature that has more PAL?” Also, if I want to keep the LPS corals, do I need a different light, or will 12000K give say, a torch coral, what it needs?
Thanks for the help.

ironreef

IME halides will suit any lsp and softies. Sps also just different temp and watts give/make them different colors. green can turn purple when going from 250w to 400w