120g too big for house.

pat713

The 120g i was looking to buy is alittle too big for the house. The largest that I think would fit in the room is about 75g. NOw my question... is that too small for 1 yellow tang. I'd love to have 3 of those and one naso, but i know the tank would be too small. I'd perfer a 72g bowfront, since if something could thrive in a 75, why couldn't it in 3 gallons less... So, should I just forget about the tang since it would benefit more in a 90 or more?

teen

or get a 110 gallon. same footprint as a 75 or 90 gallon, except extra high. you could do 1 tang in a 110 gallon. something like a scopas, yellow, or kole would be fine.
if your looking for something like a regal tang, just fit the 120 somehow.

pat713

I dont want to get anything taller than my wife. So anything over 5' is out of the question. I'm talking about the stand, tank, and the canopy. Unless I can find a shorter stand... :-D
I still want a 120g, which is 24", a normal canopy is around 12-20" right? So that means the stand has to be no taller than 24"...

reefstar22

If you want 3 yellow tangs and a naso tang, you need a 220+ gallon tank.
I have a 125 and I have 1 yellow tang.

devil dog

Can I ask why you want it not to be taller then 5'?
Most people want them to be taller so you don't have to bend over to look in them

1journeyman

You'll get two thoughts on this, and ultimately you will have to decide.
After observing my Purple Tang swim back and forth the length of my 180 from the time I got him (when he was tiny...) I would not put a YT in less than a 6 foot tank.
People often overlook the dietary needs of Tangs. Having a larger tank allows more live rock and grazing room. Besides that, a YT gets pretty big.

dragonzim

Originally Posted by Devil Dog
Can I ask why you want it not to be taller then 5'?
Most people want them to be taller so you don't have to bend over to look in them

I actually built my stand a little higher than normal specifically so I wouldnt have to bend down to look at it...

pat713

When I'm not home, I want my wife to be able to feed the fish. If it's too tall, she wouldn't be able to.
I mght just get a large nano, 45-60g that's 36" long. I had some extra boxes and stacked them up to make it look like a 75g tank, looks way too big in that room, 36" looks good though.
Anyone know if they make a 50-55g bowfront?

teen

im pretty sure i have a 55g bow in my basement. i got it from my moms boss and never used it. it could be a 46 though,. im not sure the guy knew what he was talking about.

pat713

There's a 55g for sale with the stand, lighting and filters for $300. Probably used for freshwater.

sk8shorty01

Originally Posted by 987654321
just get her a step stool
My advice as well. If you have a step stool any height is fine.

pat713

Lol... how about no...
We have step stools in the house, but I doubt she'll use go out of her way to find one and double the time it'll take to feed the fish.
I'm just going to get a smaller one, 45-60g. Cheaper on the bills as well...