120gal - Stocking suggestions

evolved

So I'm a total newbie to the saltwater world (not a pet newbie by any means, I've kept reptiles all my life) and I need some help on deciding what to stock the tank with. A few bits of info first. I will soon be setting up the tank, but I need to cycle it first. The tank I'm picking up has been drained for 6 months, but there's about 175lbs of rock in it. There's also a very nice Hamilton light on it, so my live rock will be nicely lit and fed. Tank dimensions are 60"x25"(T)x18(D). There is no canopy or lid on the tank, so things that can escape are out for now. Basically, I'm looking for an interesting tank to observe and stocked with some "colorful diversity". Initially, I was considering going with a Picasso trigger and selecting my other fish around such, but I've started to talk myself out of that. Primarily due to the limiting factors with one, mainly the inability to keep any cleaner shrimp/clams. It's not that regular water changes will be a problem for me, but I see the ability to keep some tank janitors far more beneficial, as well as more interesting. So, currently I'm considering something along the lines of a tang (yellow? powder blue? sailfin? combination of any of the prior?), a wrasse or two (6 line?), a flame angel, a hawk fish, and/or....? Please help with a suggested stocking list. Thanks in advance.

hammerhed7

As far as the tangs go I would go with the yellow, sailfin will get too big, and powder blues require experienced care and a mature tank. In that tank I would do something like this
Yellow tang, 6 line wrasse, long nose hawkfish, a pair of percula clowns, shrimp goby, black cap basslet, a few chromis (no damsels) and a dwarf angel (most likely added last after the tank is well established). If you want shrimp I would make sure the shrimp are large, and go in before the hawk fish as it could go after smaller shrimp.
Good luck with the tank

easy e

If you want a Tang, I would suggest a Kole, especially if you can find one that has blue lips and blue spots on the face. Very cool and rare. I've only seen one. It was at a *****, and amazingly it was the same price as a regular Kole, about $40. Unfortunately I didn't have room for it at the time. The Kole I had at one time was active, got along good with it's tankmates, and stayed fat and happy on Formula 2 and Mysis. Yellows are very common and and never look very healthy to me, even when they're in huge tanks. A lot of the Koles you see in the LFS don't look very good either. Hold out for a nice, fat, dark colored one with well defined stripes.
I don't know much about the longnose, but my Flame Hawk started attacking 2 very large peppermint shrimp as soon as I put them in the tank.
The green chromis are a very good choice for starter fish. They're cheap and fairly hardy, so a lot of people use them to cycle their tank. I would get about 5 of them at first and see how they do. If they seem to be acclimated doing well after several weeks, maybe add a few more over time until you get a nice sized group going. Their scooling behavior is fascinating, They seem to change from green to blue to white as the swim around, depending on how the light hits them. Green is also hard to come by sometimes, if you're looking for "color diversity". The only drawback is, any large predator will gladly snack on these guy's if given a chance. Predators aren't good for a newbie anyway, so this would hopefully help you resist the temptation,
It's very good to hear you decided against the Picasso. I saw one at a LFS that was almost a foot long and would kill anything they put in the tank with it. They had signs on the tank warning customers keep their fingers away. Imagine your big, beautiful tank with only one inhabitant. This is why being patient and doing your homework before you put anything
in your tank is essential to being a successful marine aquarist.
Sounds like you're thinking is pretty sound so far. Very unusual for a newbie. I envy you're opportunity to set up a big tank like that from square one. It's going to be a lot of fun if you take your time and make wise choices. If you rush into it, you're in for a lot of headaches, and it will seem more like work than an enjoyable hobby. Not to mention all the money you'll waste. Believe me, I've made every mistake in the book.
I wouldn't even attempt to make a hard, fast stocking list for you. Something like that would take me months to decide, I've never owned a tank that big, and the possibilities are endless. You're idea of what it should look like when fully stocked might be completely different than mine.
You've already decided you want interesting, color diverse fish that don't eat inverts. Do some research, make a list of fish that fit the bill, and go from there. Make sure a fish is healthy, active, and feeding well before you buy it. Avoid fish that get large, agressive, and territorial or you will severely limit your diversity. Observe your tank closely and don't add anything new unless the current inhabitants are stress free and well aclimated.
Follow these simple rules of thumb, and you should be OK. If you have any further questions don't hesitate to post again on this thread. Enjoy that new tank!!!

V

vinnyraptor

a small school of anthias or chromis, then maybe some sort of goby other than a mandarin. after a month or so maybe a juvi tang, like a yellow, purple, kole, scopas, etc. lastly a dwarf angel of your choice. never overstock, its not freshwater and you cant pack your tank like that. my rule would be no more than 15 inches of total fish.