125 gallon reef/ diy stand, canopy

jlem

Well everything is done besides the three canopy doors which I plan to do one day soon. Everything was moved from my 90 gallon.

cowabonga

can you show me the plan for the canopy. I need to build a canopy for my 125 too. How much did it end up costing? How do you round the edges of the wood?

jlem

The stand cost me $175.00 total and the canopy cost about $100.00. They are made out of oak except for some reinforcments inside the stand which are pine. The top of the canopy is hinged and can lift up. The corner trim is just corner trim and the top and bottum trim I routered myself on my router table and used my compound miter saw to cut the trim so it mett perfectly in the corners. I used a jig saw to cut out the canopy doors. The front is a piece of oak the same lenth of the tank and the sides are attached to the front piece with screws. I have a lenth on 1 by 4 across the back and a lenth of 2 by 2 against the 1 by 4 for added support. The canopy sits directly on the tank and the bottum trim covers the tank trim and is attached with smaller screws. To keep from splitting the wood I predrilled every screwhole prior to screwing in the screws and used lots of wood glue. It really was an easy process. If you post your email I can send you a bunch of pictures from inside the stand and canopy if you want.

nm reef

Excellant looking work! Looks like a terrific reef in progress! Keep us posted as it progresses....:cool:

jlem

Actually the reef was well established in my 90 gallon. The reason why I have the reef seperated is because the star corral and polyps were taking off so hopefully they will just fight eachother on the right side and not take over the whole reef. I got the bigger tank because I want to get a naso tang eventually, and the 90 I felt was two small to house both a naso and the purple tang from hell.