125 gallon tank

teresaq

depends on how many you want to put in there. lol
what do you see with this tank, how many horses and what species.
you could do one of the bigger species like ingens which are a long slender horse (up to 12 inches) and need a temp of about 72-74
or pots which are also a lrg horse - but need temps around 60 degrees

teresaq

lol with that size tank you could do 4 to 6 pairs. you may never see them - there are a few compatible fish but nothing fast moving. see the compatibility chart at the top.
keep in mind you will need a chiller. Tank will need to be kept at about 74 degrees.

novahobbies

Just my personal opinion, but I think you might be happier with a smaller tank....makes them easier to see. Other than large species like Pots, personally I don't think you need much bigger than 60-70 gallons as a "big tank" for most species. Big enough to house 3 pair or so, but small enough to observe them.

novahobbies

24 gallons of tank space might be good for a pair of Erectus, but Kudas often get a wee bit bigger.
More to the point, many people have run into a few problems with keeping horses in all-in-one nanocubes. Horses need higher O2 levels due to their primitive gills, and the fully enclosed cover on most Nanos prohibits good gas exchange. Further, since horses need cooler water temps (74 is generally the max temp, and 70-72 is a safer temp to keep bacterial growth down), the nanocubes again fail because the light is enclosed over the lid, heating the tank beyond safe horse levels. Finally, most protein skimmers that can fit in nanocubes are usually a little under par for horse tanks, since seahorses are generally a little messy.
I'm not trying to dissuade you from trying your hand at these beautiful animals -- far from it. I'm just giving you some pointers from a few individuals who have tried setups similar to what you're suggesting. The new Nanocubes with LED lighting might be something to consider, but you will need to research to see if the lid on the cube can be raised up to allow for some gas exchange at the water's surface.
IMO an open-top regular style tank in the 29-37 gallon range is a good home for 1 to 2 pair of most common horses (obviously the smaller tank will house fewer animals!). A HOB style filter rated for a larger tank is a good starting point, while many canister filters can be easily modified to work well also. A good quality skimmer (again, rated for a larger tank such as a 55) is very important, and you should consider cooling systems such as fans, thermoelectric probes, or full-blown chillers to cool the water down. A couple good quality fans with or without an Ice Probe will do the trick for tanks this size, provided your home temp isn't too bad and your lighting isn't too hot.

gemmy

Hi, so it looks like you have been bitten by the seahorse bug. AWESOME!!! I agree with all the info that you being given. Another thing to consider with the nano cube all in one tanks, is that the equipment for the pumps raises the water temp quite a bit. Also, I would recommend going with a tall tank as opposed to the cube style. Building your own system will be cheaper and more customizable when it comes to equipment.
I have a 30 gallon half moon tank and I love it. I have a pair of erectus that are thriving in it.

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaodissa http:///t/391639/125-gallon-tank#post_3474524
I would like to do kuda seahores or erctus seahorses maybe 4-6?
Hi,
My Kuda horses are huge 7 inches each, and not yet a year old, and my Erectus were right there with them for size. 4 to 6 pairs won't be lost in a 125g....but be prepared for the fry that will come.....because these guys are like water bunnies for breeding. I have not yet tried my hand at keeping the fry alive, but I also hate letting them die.
Caulerpa prolifera (looks like Turtle seagrass) the horses love to play in it, and it keeps the water pristine. The caulerpa grows pretty fast and as you pull the extra growth out, (harvesting) you also remove nitrates and phosphates from the system. I added lots of red macroalgae as well for color.
I use an in-tank refugium to breed amphipods, which they love to hunt and eat. A chiller is needed to keep the water cool. I have had freshwater fish, then Koi, then I went saltwater... FOWLR, I have had the mixed reef and now I have seahorses. Of all the water critters I have ever kept, I love the seahorses the best.
I have 4 Kuda in a 56g tall tank, and 4 Potbelly horses in a 90g....The pots are just babies, 5 inches max and they are not lost in the 90g, I watch them play all day long....I have learned to not make my tank too busy, but have lots of hitches. Too busy, and they hide too well. I had a 30g long mixed reef for my Erectus and hardly ever spotted them except at feeding time. So it isn't the size of the tank that allows them to make themselves invisible.

jaodissa

Thanks for the replies everyone. So here's my final thoughts input always welcomed of course :)
Im going to scrap the 125 gallon idea. I would like macro algae and getting in there to prune/care for it would be a pain I think. I am going to go with a 24 gallon nano cube modified. I read along a thread here with some very neat ideas. (I would prefer a larger tank of course, but I have the 24 on hand, upgrading isn't out of the picture at a later time though.) So to combat the issues listed with nano cubes...
1 I am going to raise the hood up with light legs. that should allow for oxygen and reduce heating a little.
2. I am going to have a HOB Skimmer on the back in the second chamber.
3. Chiller will be housed in the third chamber.
4. I will create a rock wall so I can have more rock without taking up a lot of real estate in the front for the horses to swim.
5. Seahorse only tank with maybe 1 peppermint shrimp to help as clean up crew
6. I also only want female horses. My thoughts on this is one I will have less issues with pouches (The idea of burping just doesnt thrill me) two. I do not want to breed. My dwarfs have all ready taken over all my house due to them breeding so much.
Right now Im just running bleach through the tank for 24 hours to kill any thing off. Tomorrow I will run it with dechlorine and rinse a million times. Im lacking on mechanical filtration ideas though. Im out of room for a HOB and have never used a canister before. Any ideas? And please if you think modding the nano cube still wont work speak up. Id rather have more thoughts than only my own lol. Thanks for the input everyone!

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaodissa http:///t/391639/125-gallon-tank#post_3474922
Thanks for the replies everyone. So here's my final thoughts input always welcomed of course :)
Im going to scrap the 125 gallon idea. I would like macro algae and getting in there to prune/care for it would be a pain I think. I am going to go with a 24 gallon nano cube modified. I read along a thread here with some very neat ideas. (I would prefer a larger tank of course, but I have the 24 on hand, upgrading isn't out of the picture at a later time though.) So to combat the issues listed with nano cubes...
1 I am going to raise the hood up with light legs. that should allow for oxygen and reduce heating a little.
4. I will create a rock wall so I can have more rock without taking up a lot of real estate in the front for the horses to swim.
6. I also only want female horses. My thoughts on this is one I will have less issues with pouches (The idea of burping just doesnt thrill me) two. I do not want to breed. My dwarfs have all ready taken over all my house due to them breeding so much.
Right now Im just running bleach through the tank for 24 hours to kill any thing off. Tomorrow I will run it with dechlorine and rinse a million times. Im lacking on mechanical filtration ideas though. Im out of room for a HOB and have never used a canister before. Any ideas? And please if you think modding the nano cube still wont work speak up. Id rather have more thoughts than only my own lol. Thanks for the input everyone!
The perfect canister for what you are going for....it can hang or sit beside the tank. $35.00

Easy-to-use canister filter ideal for nano, mini-reef, and other small aquariums

Efficient canister filter design with powerful high flow rate and quiet operation

Features sleek, modern design which complements most aquariums

Rapids Mini Canister Filter provides optimum 3-stage filtration to smaller aquariums, such as nano, mini-reef, or planted aquariums. Compact, super-efficient filter features self-priming, top-mounted sealed motor with 80 gph flow rate. It's quiet, simple to start and setup, and dependable. It's also lightweight enough to be hung directly on back of your aquarium or it can stand alone. Comes with built-in flow meter and 2-year manufacturer's warranty. For fresh or saltwater aquariums up to 20 gals. Measures 3-1/2" x 5-11/16" x 7" high.
Includes:
Floss roll with activated carbon and super porous ceramic cylinders, high-efficiency intake strainer, spray bar, and canister hanger.
I have this little canister on my sump...it can handle the 24g with no problems. The little spray-bar is perfect for moving the surface water. I would still use macroalgae and besides the shrimp you will need snails.

novahobbies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaodissa http:///t/391639/125-gallon-tank#post_3474922
I'm going to scrap the 125 gallon idea. I would like macro algae and getting in there to prune/care for it would be a pain I think. I am going to go with a 24 gallon nano cube modified. I read along a thread here with some very neat ideas. (I would prefer a larger tank of course, but I have the 24 on hand, upgrading isn't out of the picture at a later time though.) So to combat the issues listed with nano cubes...
This should definitely help yes. Might not look as "clean" as the stock nanocube, but will definitely be better for the horses.
What Skimmer are you considering? I'm not sure of the size of the chamber, so I'm curious what might fit. I
Same question, different subject. Are you going with an external chiller and using this chamber as the return? Make sure the intake is separated from the return by a little distance.
Cool! Can't wait to see it!
Good choice for a scavenger, but make sure it's big enough that it won't become food itself. My H. reidis would routinely murder any peps that came into the system.
6. I also only want female horses. My thoughts on this is one I will have less issues with pouches (The idea of burping just doesn't thrill me) Smart move there.
two. I do not want to breed. My dwarfs have all ready taken over all my house due to them breeding so much.
You have dwarf seahorses and you haven't posted pics of them yet???? 10 points off for bad forum etiquette!

Right now I'm just running bleach through the tank for 24 hours to kill any thing off. Tomorrow I will run it with dechlorine and rinse a million times. I'm lacking on mechanical filtration ideas though. I'm out of room for a HOB and have never used a canister before. Any ideas? And please if you think modding the nano cube still wont work speak up. Id rather have more thoughts than only my own lol. Thanks for the input everyone!

jaodissa

LOL! Your right shame on me for not posting pictures! There are some super old ones on here, but I will get some new ones up. I havent posted on this forum in 1+ yrs I think lol.
Im using a CPR backpack skimmer. The intake is in the 2nd chamber and the return is in the first so a little back words, but I think it should still work out.
I was just going to use a little probe chiller as I had one on hand, but it's not looking like it's big enough to get the water temp down. With the lights on in the middle of the day the high was 75. The temp right now is 72, but it's early morning and no lights on. any recommendation here?