125gal need some fish ideas

fatmatt

im going to get rid of my 75 and 55 and get a 125 salt water i would like to have live sand and fish tahts it maby some LR i guess you can say i am a beginner i have a 20gal with LR LS fish crabs snails, and 1 zoo(dieing on me think shrimp eating it) but any way can you guys give me some ideas on what fish would be good in a 125gal tank i like triggers alot! also can u have crabs star fish and such in a mean tank? also do i need a sump or skimmer and such if so how would i go about this pretty much give me ur ideas for this tank ty for ur time

cartman101

Wow! I would love to see your tank when its done! As for filtration i would MOST definitly get a skimmer and for sumps, they are optional BUT i would definitly reccomend one. It really depends on your fish u have in the tank for inverts, i have a niger trigger and a goldentail eel and they dont harm my inverts at all (i have a chocolate starfish, about 10 turbo snails, 15 hermits). What kinda fish u interested in, groupers,eels,triggers,lions,puffers? As far as triggers, i would reccomend a humu humu trigger, very colorful trigger.

J

jcrim

I'd definitely get a sump with a refugium and skimmer. Having better water quality will allow you to have more, healthier fish. You really cannot do starfish or crabs with the more aggressive triggers.
Try a livestock list like the following:
Any moray eel
clown trigger
blue throat trigger
sohal tang
huma huma trigger
harlequin tusk

cartman101

Jcrim, clown trigger are pretty agressive and theres a high chance of them eating inverts. Crosshatch and blue throat triggers a more peaceful trigger.

J

jcrim

I'm not really sure where you're going with that Cartman... :notsure:
but you're 100% right.

cartman101

Originally Posted by jcrim
I'm not really sure where you're going with that Cartman... :notsure:
BTW you're 100% right.
well you put down clown trigger and he was asking what kinda fish are good with inverts
I wasn't really going anywhere just correcting your mistake

J

jcrim

Mistake??? The question was whether triggers are ok with inverts. Still not sure what the mistake was...
You must be in the mood to argue... lol

cartman101

Mistake??? The question was whether triggers are ok with inverts. Still not sure what the mistake was...
You must be in the mood to argue... lol

HAHA yup u guessed it, J/k
Ah, man just forget about it, i just saw that clown trigger and i had inverts on my mind and a BIG no came to mind

B

boatdrinks

With a 125 you will have a lot more options as far as fish go... I think that you'll be much happier with this set up rather than converting the 55...
As far as filtration goes, If you have a good LFS nearby, I would get a tank pre-drilled with a built in overflow. How are you at plumbing and other "mechanical" stuff? Building your own sump will be a lot less expensive, plus will allow you to customize to your needs. Can use a smaller aquarium, or a rubbermaid tub or something similar.
If that seems a little overwhelming, (was for me for years) then you might want to try some sort of commercial wet/dry undertank filter. (tidepool maybe?) You might actually get more responses by posting on the "Equipment and DYI" forum.
The skimmer in my opinion is a must... I recommend aquaC skimmers personally.
As far as fish selection goes, start by chosing one or two fish that you really would like to keep, and build the rest of your list around that...
Good luck!

J

jcrim

How about this list:
any moray eel
dogface puffer (golden if you can afford)
purple tang
foxface
powder blue tang
antennae lionfish

cartman101

How about this list:
any moray eel
dogface puffer (golden if you can afford)
purple tang
foxface
powder blue tang
antennae lionfish
Looks good besides the eel part
I would not reccoment a fimbriatus(sp?) moray, since they will most likely eat your fish
An i wouldn't reccomend a tesse or green moray since it will out grow your tank. Sorry Jcrim, had to do it

J

jcrim

Originally Posted by Cartman101
Looks good besides the eel part
I would not reccoment a fimbriatus(sp?) moray, since they will most likely eat your fish
An i wouldn't reccomend a tesse or green moray since it will out grow your tank. Sorry Jcrim, had to do it

fatmatt

Well bin looking at triggers i liked theres
Rectangular Trigger
Undulated Trigger
Humu Humu
and i also think this fish looks nice
Volitan Lionfish
Is a angle able to go with these fish? im just wondering if any you guys think i would like any other kind of fish if you can tell what kind i like by lookin at those triggers would be nice

B

boatdrinks

Leave out the Undulated for sure, they should be kept in species tanks...
I really like the humu trigger a lot, but it probably isnt' the best idea to keep one with a lion as they like to nip at their long fins... Some people have have them together with no problems, but there is always a risk... If you are looking at triggers, nigers and blue throats may be a little more "lion friendly" but again, no guarantee...
Also, triggers and lions both should have a few places in the tank to hide. LR is always best..