12gallon aquapod help!

losers217

Hey i orderd a aquapod 12 iv never had salt water fish befor and i need help.
Pleas tell me everything you think i should know.

T

touchthesky00

be patient
read and research on here before you buy ANYTHING
patience
and have lots of money

silverdak

do your research!!! I just started my tank as well... everything is 1000x easier if you read and have a clue about what your doing. take it one step at a time. getting a tank before reading anything might not have been the best idea... but you can still make it work. so far for a 14 gallon Bio-cube I am in over $300 and that is without fish, and corals. I planned and knew my costs would be about $500 all said and done. just take small steps and be patient and you will be just fine

spiderwoman

Ask questions, there is no such thing as a dumb question!
Research, research and once more research.
Nothing in SW happens fast.

Here's what I found. Mechanical and filters humans make are not nearly as effective as nature's filters. I highly recommend getting something like cheato. I have never had nitrates in my 24g aquapod after I added it. Great stuff.
Don't buy on impulse and don't listen to the people at the stores.

losers217

ok this is my stock lists of Equipment, fish, and clean up crew tell me if you think it is all right
Equipment- salt mix in, live sand, a good test kite with the calcium one,13lbs of live rock..
inverts-6 turbos,6 blue legged hermits
fish list, a breeder pair of clowns. also getting a carpet anemone.
to greedy?

losers217

Originally Posted by losers217
http:///forum/post/2648048
ok this is my stock lists of Equipment, fish, and clean up crew tell me if you think it is all right
Equipment- salt mix in, live sand, a good test kite with the calcium one,13lbs of live rock..
inverts-6 turbos,6 blue legged hermits
fish list, a breeder pair of clowns. also getting a carpet anemone.
to greedy?
O yeah and i am going to block the bottem intakes to help the skimmer and filter

silverdak

stock list looks just about right, only 2 fish and some inverts in a 12 will be just fine. thats basiclaly what I am doing in mine... maybe a pair a firefish too...

flricordia

Sorry to tell you that the anemone will not last long at all witht he stock lighting in there. You will need MH or intense T5. PC will not be enough, and what is in the 12? 36wts? 48? not enough.
Hang in there and as stated before, research. There are many other cool charges you can keep that don't need as intense a lighting.

ofc175

hey if it helps the 12g is 2x27 watt one dual actinic and one daylight....i think you would be ok with most soft corals and LPS if someone else could chime in to confirm this.
I am also running a 12g aquapod and after my cycle finished i only added 3 blue leg and 2 scarlet hermits, 2 nass snail and 2 trochous(not sure is spelled right) snails and they seem to be keeping it clean so far....i figured i could always and more if it gets dirty that way i didnt starve anything.
I also blocked the lower 2 intakes and it worked out well. if you can afford it upgrade to the mj900 for a powerhead. take your time and get as much good info as possible before you start and i think you will find that this is a fantastic hobby and you wont want to throw your tank out the window when you kill expensive livestock