13 wpg?

M

mxsnow145

I recently purchased a t5 metal halide fixture that is 2 x 250W 10,000K HQI Metal Halide 4 x 54W T5 Actinic Lamps 4 x Dual Bluemoon LEDs and that comes out to about 13 wpg on my 55g tank. I have a rose bubble tip anemone, duncan, Rasta Leather, Blue Palm Coral, Yellow Toadstool, Polyps, Sun Coral, Clam, Goneopora, and a few others. I switched from a 3.4 wpg PC. Is this too much light? Im kind of worried about my goneopora its not fully opening.

btldreef

I don't go so much by wpg, but that is a lot of light over a 55, especially if you are coming from PC's. Start off slow with the halide lighting and let your corals acclimate or you're going to bake them.

snakeblitz33

Keep your metal halides on 2 hours per day for the first week, T5s on for 8. Then, each week, increase it by one hour until you get up to your full day cycle again.
You may want to consider adding a little egg crate to the top of the tank.
That sun coral will bake for sure - it's non-photosynthetic and actually needs a little shade.

E

eric b 125

I have a 125 DT with 1070 watts of light which comes to 8.56 wpg and I'm able to keep SPS and a clam, no problem. I have monti digi's growing great on the sandbed... any higher and they bleach. I think the wpg equation is an old school go-to, but it seems to me that you have plenty of light to keep whatever. You will just have to acclimate corals to your lighting in a sensitive manner.

y2says

I agree with acclimating your corals to your new lights, but Goniopora are hard corals to keep alive anyway.