14 Gallon BioCube New Setup w/pics

O

owen502

Thanks to all that provide good info.
I am new to saltwater. I have a 75 gallon African Cichlid tank and a 28 gallon bow front tetra tank. I decided to try out a nano saltwater tank mainly because of space issues. I have no room for another large tank. Plus, if I can keep a nano tank going, I am sure I can keep a larger one.
I got the 14 gallon Oceanic Biocube with a matching stand. I have made no modifications to it yet. I am following the recommendations of the LFS which has one of these set up on its checkout shelf and is stock with no modifications. Theirs looks really nice.
I have added 20lbs of live sand, 14lbs of live rock, RO saltwater from the LFS. I got all this set up and let it run for a week. I tested the water and the tank did cycle. I had PH 8.4, Nitrate 0, Nitrite 0, Ammonia 0. I have left the lights off for this first week as advised.
After the first week, I had the LFS test my water as well to make sure I didn't mess up the testing. I got 3 small blue leg hermits, 2 red leg hermits, 7 snails mixed (I don't know the difference between them yet), an emerald crab, and a cleaner shrimp.
The cleaner shrimp died after 4 days suddenly. No explanation for that but it happens.
These pictures are of the tank at 2 weeks. I still may move my rock around but I think I like it.

I will keep ya'll updated on my progress with this thread. Any comments are appreciated.

jake123

Looks like a good start...
I would try to move the rock off of the side glass,
It will make cleaning a lot easier!!

O

owen502

I just ordered a JBJ auto top off unit. I am still undecided on which pump I am going to use with it. I am leaning towards a submersible pump and putting a little valve on it so it restricts the flow into the tank so it tops off slowly.
I also ordered the nanocustoms lighting upgrade to add a third 24W PC light.

O

owen502

New aquascape picture and a few closeup's of the cleaning crew.

bill109

ur tank is very nice.
i havent read all this yet but what ar eu plaaning on putting in it?
also dont get me wrong ur tank and rock work is nice but tht rock int he very front righ tht is tht light white might look cool on top and re do some cus its a arch shaped rock and might be cool cus u can put coral on the top and the fish can swim thru it.
good start. kep uo updated!

-bill109

nano reefer

I am guessing you rearranged your rock so the magnet could get all the glass? Good choice, i made the same mistake when i first set up. Now i can clean all the glass. Very nice setup.

O

owen502

Originally Posted by Nano Reefer
I am guessing you rearranged your rock so the magnet could get all the glass? Good choice, i made the same mistake when i first set up. Now i can clean all the glass. Very nice setup.

Someone did suggest that I do that and after seeing a tank that had the rocks up one side I did decide to take that advice.

meleerock

The tank looks great! Good choice with the re-aquascaping. I too have a new BC14 and love it. Looks like your off to a great start so far!

peef

Is the "best picture you took" a mushroom? Looks like a blue but just curious?
I like it and it is an awesome pic.

O

owen502

Originally Posted by peef
Is the "best picture you took" a mushroom? Looks like a blue but just curious?
I like it and it is an awesome pic.

That mushroom is more green than blue but it does have blue streaks in it. The clown loves it. The goby loves it too, he sits in it as well but when you approach the tank he hides. I got the red spotted mushrooms to help if they decide to fight over it.