140g super low budget build...

gotpancit

ok got some work done over the weekend. I'm planning on filling it up tonight to see if there are any leaks that I missed. I have like 75% of my CAD done.
I have my sites set on getting live sand from a local. Now how much LS do I need? SWF has a sand bed calculator and it says I need approx 115lbs for a 2" sand bed. Does that sound about right for a FOWLR? Or is 2" overkill?

gotpancit

Score! my siliconing worked. Now I have to pick up a 400w mh/ 94pc fixture on thursday. Found a couple of people with a sump and skimmer. I'd say within a month I should be cycling everything.

gotpancit

Scored again. Got myself a hamilton retro 2x400w 14kMH plus 2x94 actinic PC's for $100. scored from a place that rymes with flea-bay. Only issue is that its only 48" long when my tank is 72". I figured the mh's would be enough to stretch to the edges since they arent in a pendant. If it does become an issue I'll just put the LR and whatever corals in the center.
Or maybe I'll trade someone for a 72" pc.
so not my question is, should I put glass in between the mh and water, or egg crate? the egg crate might melt right? then again the glass hidges I have are made of plastic and those might melt.

gotpancit

Its been awhile since I updated this, but I now have a ro/di unit ($50 locally). Next is a skimmer and a sump. I should be drilling the tank this comming up weekend.