14G Biocube

dabbson

hi i had a few Q's, how many horses can i put in a 14 gallon biocube? and iwas thinking about getting a kuda and and a pair of erectus from this site are ok to begin with? any advice would be appreciated

bender77

14 gallons is too small for any horses other than dwarfs. I think there is a thread pinned at the top that tells the proper size for each species

btldreef

I raised three baby Kuda's in a 14G BioCube, and even after a month or two, they really needed the larger tank.

bender77

Here [=https://forums.saltwaterfish.com/t/348070/seahorse-species-and-basic-needs][/]
Minimum I would try is 28 g for a pair of horses. The make nice 37g colum tanks that horses love. You also need to be careful about mixing species. It's not recommended, they could have bacteria that the other species doesn't and cause them to get sick. You should always make sure your horses are captive bred, not tank raised or wild caught to get the healthiest horses.
There is a lot to sea horses. Stick around, read and ask questions. And sorr about typos. I hate typing on my ipad

dabbson

ok just checked the ph and its at 7.8 whats the best way to raise it to 8.3-8.4? and where can i get dwarf seahorses? keep them coming

bender77

Dwarf seahorses require live food and constant hatching of baby brine shrimp, make sure you are up to that task before you even think about dwarfs. There are 2 places that I know of that sell captive bred dwarfs, but I'm pretty sure I can't post it here due to forum rules. Do a lot more research on dwarf before you consider them. To raise pH you may just need more air in the tank. I have an open airline in my seahorse tank making large rolling bubbles. Honestly with dwarfs you should consider a slightly smaller tank like 5 gallons. 14 gallons is kind of in the middle, too big for dwarfs unless you have a huge herd and too small for the larger species.
I would make the 14 a softy reef on my desk and get a bigger tank for a larger species like erectus. Oh wait, that's exactly what I did do :rotfl: