14gal BioCube and Seahorses!

shaunalynna

I recently got a 14gal BioCube that I am dying to set up. I know that I want to make it a seahorse tank for a pair of seahorse. What should I do to make this happen? How should I set it up when I start?

rykna

Originally Posted by Shaunalynna
http:///forum/post/2745603
I recently got a 14gal BioCube that I am dying to set up. I know that I want to make it a seahorse tank for a pair of seahorse. What should I do to make this happen? How should I set it up when I start?
A 14g is not large enough to house any of the seahorse species, except ponies(dwarf seahorses). Before you bring the seahorse home. What research have you done so far? Knowing your fish experience will help us help you. I find it much easier to answer specific questions(and I am more than happy to answer them as best I can).

shaunalynna

We have not got any horses yet. The tank in question is a conversation for us still at home. We are just getting ideas and things together now. I have had dwarfs in the past and not oppsed to it again, there just so hard to care for. We have about a month before we really set this tank up once we move.

rykna

Originally Posted by Shaunalynna
http:///forum/post/2746871
We have not got any horses yet. The tank in question is a conversation for us still at home. We are just getting ideas and things together now. I have had dwarfs in the past and not oppsed to it again, there just so hard to care for. We have about a month before we really set this tank up once we move.
Really? In the experiences I've had, I've found ponies easier to care for. Mostly because I can be certain of the nutrition the ponies are getting because we make and enrich their food. I can't wait to see your set up
Man.....I wish I had a 14g cube....drooooooooooooooooooool

I'm always around for info and suggestions. So ask away

shaunalynna

Glad to hear there doing great! I myself when I had dwarfs didn't have luck with them. They were mainly in a wrong tank though and well everyone else ate there food as well and picked on them. There so adorable LOL but to small for me, I was shocked when I got home and saw what I ordered not expecting them that tiny!
My two big ponies are also doing great and there in my 14gal as I originally was going to do. Now I am working on getting live plant in there for them instead of the fake they have. There eating good though and alone in the tank. I am awaiting the one to deliver so will have more then 2 soon!

teresaq

I hope you are planning on an up grade soon. 14 gal is really two small for two adult horses. you need at least a 29 gal. They need a tank that is 3x thier length. so a 7 inch horse needs at least 21 inched tall. Good Luck
T

shaunalynna

I've seen horses in tanks smaller then what I have them in! I wouldn't go any lower myself but have seen it. My local store to be exact had four in an 8gal tank. I have also seen and heard many people talk about a 14gal they set up for there seahorses only and not dwarfs but regulars! No upgrade is in the plans for us here anytime soon. There healthy and doing fine right now so this is what matters. Yes, I will eventually want to get myself yet another tank and they'll one day be moved up just as everything else I have has but not seeing it anytime soon in the future with two new tanks just started!

teresaq

I have never seen lrg horses that can get 7 to 8 inches long kept in such a small tank. its like any fish, they need space to be happyand hunt. They really need a tall tank--one that is 3x thier length so they can stretch out if they want to. Seahorses can get stressed very easy, and if they get sick they go down hill very fast.
would you want to live in a box. I dont know how any respectable lfs would keep 4 -6 to 8 inch horses in only 8 gal of water. I wouldnt even keep one clown in such a small tank.
TeresaQ

shaunalynna

Originally Posted by TeresaQ
http:///forum/post/2764677
I have never seen lrg horses that can get 7 to 8 inches long kept in such a small tank. its like any fish, they need space to be happyand hunt. They really need a tall tank--one that is 3x thier length so they can stretch out if they want to. Seahorses can get stressed very easy, and if they get sick they go down hill very fast.
would you want to live in a box. I dont know how any respectable lfs would keep 4 -6 to 8 inch horses in only 8 gal of water. I wouldnt even keep one clown in such a small tank.
TeresaQ
I couldn't believe they had 4 in a small tank that size myself! This is also one reason why I bought the two I did mainly to give a little more room and well I knew I was getting some anyhow eventually. My tank is just a temp tank for a little while. I will eventually get a bigger tank just as I always have but for now there fine. I keep an eye on them daily 24/7 since there in my LR to be exact so know there changes if I see them. I have read up on them and well maybe my choice of tank was not the best but for now it saved them from what they were in!

poniegirl

Well, I am terribly confused...what tank your seahorses in right now? I don't see a seahorse tank on your profile.
You have the seahorse that you think may have just had his fry? I may have finally
lost it.

dingus890

You could always look into getting 2 Hippocampus Fuscus seahorses.Also called the seapony,they are smaller and get to about 4 inches(uncurled tail lenth)Yet are large enough to accept frozen foods.
I may get 2 for my tank but they are more expensive.My LFS(about 2 hours away...lol) that specializes in CB horses charges $89.00 for fuscus each vs. $49.00 each for H. Erectus seahorses.
Edit:reading the rest of the post I see you got some horses already for the 14gallon.Deff. in the future think of getting a larger tank for them.In the long run it will get way to cramped and the oxygen level too low.
I agree with TeresaQ about questioning your LFS.Keeping any fish in an 8 gallon tank let alone many seahorses makes my hair stand up.

lulabulla

Originally Posted by jon56048
http:///forum/post/2757476
I have dwarf seahorses in my wife 14g BioCube and there doing grate
i have a 14 gal. biocube, did you modify at all? if so what did you do? i just ordered loc-line to modify and a new pump and wondering what mods can be done. thanks

finny

I have a couple of questions about Sea horses if you don't mind.... I have a 34 g nano and thinking about just putting horses in there.. at the moment i have a flame angel and fire shrimp in there... is there anything special i should do for them... besides move the flame angel..lol..

shaunalynna

Originally Posted by lulabulla
http:///forum/post/2773054
i have a 14 gal. biocube, did you modify at all? if so what did you do? i just ordered loc-line to modify and a new pump and wondering what mods can be done. thanks
No I did not modify anything everything is the same! I have had no problems with them or the tank intake area. Yeah, I get all the time that they should be in a larger tank but all in due time that will happen.

shaunalynna

Originally Posted by finny
http:///forum/post/2773174
I have a couple of questions about Sea horses if you don't mind.... I have a 34 g nano and thinking about just putting horses in there.. at the moment i have a flame angel and fire shrimp in there... is there anything special i should do for them... besides move the flame angel..lol..
You should be fine with your 34 if you get the angel out of there like you said! There is nothing special you need to do other then make sure you have the proper food for eating, hitching rocks and plants in the tank. Just be sure all your tank mates are safe with them. I believe the shrimp will be okay with them but you may want to double check this answer.