15$ pvc overflow

J

jfdjason

It looks great if you want the look of a Sci-Fi movie hanging off your tank.

pyro

wow, I think I found something simliar to this... only a whole lot simpler... when i was setting up my 30g.
...and then I said heck with it, I'm getting it drilled

yaksplat

I wouldn't recomment using one of these if you have astrea snails in your tank. I set one of these up earlier last year. Snails crawled down the inlet causing my tank to overflow. I then put netting over the inlet. Then the snails just hung out on top, causing the tank to overflow. It wasn't woth the hassle of an overflowing tank.
Jim

zelfin

Wouldnt it work to just net the intakes? Then to put a water level switch in the sump pump?

yaksplat

I did net the intakes. Later I also put a float switch in the main tank. I still didn't like the overflow though. The flowrate wasn't that great, it was noisy and I didn't like the look of the pvc.
Jim

zelfin

I found something rather neat today. While shopping for PVC and pricing it out. I found a thing called a VENT GUARD. it is a cap that is already slotted. PERFECT for tank use.

joker_ca

LOOKS LIKE A MESS OF PVC PIPES I WOULDNT PUT THAT IN MY TANK I LIKE MY SETUPS TO LOOK NICE AND CLEAN:D

zelfin

Umm, it may just be me, but dont most reef tanks have a ton of PVC floating around in them anyways? whats the difference if you have more?