$15 sand or $150 Aragonite

tiffster

Alright, I have a decision to make. I set up my 55 as salt yesterday, and I want a 4-5" sand bed. I need opinions on playsand vs fine grained aragonite. Is it going to be just as effective either way? I want to have a yellow watchman goby so keep that in mind. Thanks,
Tiff
(oh, no southdown around here)

gene52569

I like sand myself. I have sand. 4 inches deep. Got it from the waters of Florida on the gulf side. $ FREE$ Nice white pretty sand :)

F

fishkid1000

It is not always illegal. I think on the Oregon coast you can take some but only like a gallon a day or something. I think someone said that. If you have a license you can.

T

thomas712

I agree with kip about the silica playsand and the Warning about the dust. Here is a little tidbit from an article about changing substrate that I have been working on.
Very Generally speaking Silica sand, lets say industrial style is a high purity quartz (SiO2) sand. Silica is a stable compound and will not leach silicates into your tank for it has no "sillicates in it. Depending on its chemical and physical characteristics, silica sand is used as glass sand, foundry sand, abrasives ..etc. Silica sand can contain tiny amounts of impurities, such as iron, manganese, chromium, calcium, or aluminum, and give the sand its color depending on how much of these impurities are contained within. So it depends on geographically where your silica sand comes from as to how much impurities it contains. If you are going to use silica sand look for white silica sand as it is much more aesthetically pleasing
A warning about silica crystals:
Silicosis is a disabling, nonreversible and sometimes fatal lung disease caused by overexposure to respirable crystalline silica. More than one million U.S. workers are exposed to crystalline silica, and each year more than 250 die from silicosis. There is no cure for the disease, but it is 100 percent preventable if employers, workers, and health professionals work together to reduce exposures.
So in other words do not breath this dust. FYI there is also a warning lable required by the state of California that is required on silica play sand.
Thomas

broomer5

tiffster
No Southdown was available when I set up my tank.
I chose to use Caribsea aragonite sand - and do not regret that decision.
I did not like paying for sand - but I wanted aragonite.

wrassecal

Just in case you do have the southdown, look for it under the names of Yardright or Old Castle. They got bought a while back and the same arrogonite sand is now sold under those names also. HTH

tiffster

why on earth would they put this stuff in sand boxes!!!!! Okay, outrage out of the way, Thanks for your help guys. I think I will go with the cheap option, I will have crushed coral in my sump, (gonna use my old tank) so hopefully there won't be too much of a buffering problem. Let you know what happens!
Tiff

I would go with a mix of Southdown and some larger particle aragonite. A sand bed should has 3 levels, Aerobic, anaerobic, and anoxic. If all the particles are very small you will have very small Aerobic and Anaerobic layers and alot of anoxic which requires the least of oxygen (none). Long story short. By mixing grain size, you can get a better mix of layers in your sand bed making it more efficient.
Put Southdown on the bottom then increase the grain size as you go towards the top.
JMO...........MCF

ackermsb

I do not beleive you will find a bag on it that says Southdown these days. Old Castle recently bought them out so now look for OLD CASTLE Carribean play sand

ackermsb

Everybody is and the only reason I am saying this is because I was at home depot recently buying a ton of it.

ty_05_f

I used a silica dsb. It keeps my nitrates down really well. I put like 5lbs of live sand on top. My sand is white on top and dark on the bottom. But It looks fine I think. And so much cheaper than buying aragonite at the LFS.

jumpfrog

There is another aragonite option that isn't as expensive as the LFS variety. Delivered for $20 for each 40lbs.
Do an internet search on aragonite and you'll find the site. If you can't shoot me an email.