150 million dollar inauguration

fish master

the inauguration is costing 150 million dollars. i know obama deserves everything any other president has gotten before, but i would think the way the economy is right now, that it would be a good choice for obama to do it different, where it would not have cost so much. it would have shown that he cares about the economy. it would have been a smart move.it would have been the (CHANGE) that he says we need. iam begining to think he is just the same as all the other presidents. there isnt going to be any change

ruaround

pshaaa...
he deserves all the pagentry and ceremony of any other president before him... this is one tradition that shouldnt be changed!!!

darthtang aw

Originally Posted by fish master
http:///forum/post/2919896
the inauguration is costing 150 million dollars. i know obama deserves everything any other president has gotten before, but i would think the way the economy is right now, that it would be a good choice for obama to do it different, where it would not have cost so much. it would have shown that he cares about the economy. it would have been a smart move.it would have been the (CHANGE) that he says we need. iam begining to think he is just the same as all the other presidents. there isnt going to be any change
His inauguration was bigger than any other president's from a cost standpoint. The highest inauguration previously cost 40 some million. To say he deserves the same is accurate. What he got was a CEO style inauguration...much more than he should have.

bigarn

A lot of the money came from donations from the very rich. They're already throwing gifts at the feet of the new king.
I still wish him luck and hope he's the real deal ...

darthtang aw

Originally Posted by bigarn
http:///forum/post/2919951
A lot of the money came from donations from the very rich. They're already throwing gifts at the feet of the new king.
Roughly 42 million cam from donations by the rich and corporations if I remember correctly. This still leaves over 100 million dollars spent on this by our government....Still, comparing that to previous inaugurations..............much more than ever spent.

jp30338

Of course it is going to cost more. Take into consideration inflation, and the mere fact that he MUST have more security than any other president b/c he is the first black president as well as the MILLIONS of people that went to D.C.

reefraff

There were private donations involved in the previous ceremonies too. A lot of the security costs aren't even included in the numbers they are using. Even so as an overall percentage of the cost I bet the security isn't 10% of the total. Besides, I don't think the racists are any more unhinged than the left wingers who hated Bush for daring to beat Mr. Internet and Hanoi John

The double standard being applied my the media is ridiculous. Deficit spending was a huge issue in the news until November 5th.

darthtang aw

Originally Posted by bigarn
http:///forum/post/2919965
One word ... Inflation. Of course it's gonna cost more.
I could accept that, but 50% inflation in 4 years? That I can't buy.
The extra security I could see adding to the cost, however is he harder to protect than previous Presidents? So shouldn't the same security detail that worked at every other inauguration be sufficient? It isn't like President Obama did anything different than the previous guys for his inauguration....The same steps and placement.
Even with doubling or tripling his security for the day, that shouldn't have amounted to the need to spend 150 million dollars. The 42 million donated should have covered the extra security. A 10 percent rise in inflation would have placed the celebration at about 100 million total between usual cost and the donation. So why the extra almost 50 million in cost...

fish master

i think the whole inauguration is just wasteful spending. why spend that amount of money for a one time deal. obama is president, we dont need 150 million dollar day to prove it. if these privite people have that kind of extra money, they should put it in our economy. and our tax money should not be spent on this kind of bull, not in the crisis that we are in. 150 million would help a lot of people that are losing there homes. or it could maybe help some businesses that are having trouble. but no, we will spend it today and it gone tommorow, and have nothing to show for it.

jp30338

Originally Posted by Darthtang AW
http:///forum/post/2919986
I could accept that, but 50% inflation in 4 years? That I can't buy.
The extra security I could see adding to the cost, however is he harder to protect than previous Presidents? So shouldn't the same security detail that worked at every other inauguration be sufficient? It isn't like President Obama did anything different than the previous guys for his inauguration....The same steps and placement.
Even with doubling or tripling his security for the day, that shouldn't have amounted to the need to spend 150 million dollars. The 42 million donated should have covered the extra security. A 10 percent rise in inflation would have placed the celebration at about 100 million total between usual cost and the donation. So why the extra almost 50 million in cost...
Actually its 8 years.

bigarn

He's the first African American President. There was tens of thousands of law enforcement people there also. (that we know of) Then there's the National Guard, Secret Service, and the elite special units positioned everywhere.
God forbid, could you imagine what would happen if something happens to him today?

darthtang aw

After doing some research. I stand corrected on how figures were obtained. However Bush raised 42.8 million dollars in donations for his. Security removed and transition costs removed his inauguration cost. The event was paid for by donations.
Obama collected roughly 40 million and had a higher price tag. This would put the slightly higher total cost in range of inflation.
But still....that is a lot for just a swearing in for ANY president.

stdreb27

Originally Posted by jp30338
http:///forum/post/2919968
Of course it is going to cost more. Take into consideration inflation, and the mere fact that he MUST have more security than any other president b/c he is the first black president as well as the MILLIONS of people that went to D.C.
umm, 40 mil vs 150 mil, inflation doesn't even come close! Inflation would account for about 7 million off the top of my head.
The simple fact is, the media raised hell about the cost of the Bush inauguration, obama spent 3 times as much. And all they could do is wax poetic.
Do I really have a problem spending that much. Not really, the change of power peacefully is really one of the unique things about the U.S. and should be celebrated. Besides that is what? 10% of what obama raised in 10 and 25 dollar donations? For his campaign.

1journeyman

You guys are throwing around some crazy numbers for security, btw.
Think about it... how many police could you hire, for a week, with a million dollars?