150 Wide Reef Build

rlablan

So Here I am Building another tank. Decided it was a good time for us to combine our 2 small guys, into one big guy.
I am ordering a 150 wide from Glasscages.com. It will be a 'penninsula' or island style. The plan will be to use it as a room divider when we move.
It will arrive here in Phoenix in early May.
This whole thing started because my Boyfriend bought an Outer Orbit fixture on Craigslist. But this is a 60 inch fixture and neither of our tank will fit it. So you see, I am FORCED to upgrade.

Equipment:
29 tall sump
60in MH outer orbit fixture. (2 MH @ 150 a piece).
Tunze wavebox
Skimmer ???? (asm G line maybe?)
Mag 24 return pump
stocklist:
We'll talk about that later :0)
So right now I am sitting on the floor of my living room, making my sump. I decided to save myself 200 bucks and make my own sump. I bought a 29 tall tank from aqueon for about 50 bucks. I went to a glass shop that is just steps from my house and got my baffles cut. It cost me 24 bucks. They did it the same day. The cuts where a bit bad the first time and they didn't fit right so we went back and they redid them and now they are great.
And as far as the tank itself The design will be pretty close to the pictures. I am no wizard with technology but I am pretty good with a pen and paper. I sketched up the tank and scanned it, instead of using sketchup or something. I am useless with computers.
Tell me what you think!

rlablan

So here are some pictures of my sump. It needs some time to cure but the baffles are up and they fit perfectly. So far, there are no leaks in the 1st 'in' chamber. The return chamber is also leak proof so far.
This sump was A lot easier than I thought it would be.
I saved myself a total of 180 bucks. That is money that I will be spending on a skimmer.
I can't figure out how to upload the pics. I hate this new update. Ugh.

rlablan

So now I am thinking of adding a separate refugium into this setup. I am not sure yet.
One goal of this tank is to successfully keep a mandarin. I have a 30 gallon sump, plus I am planning to run a substantial sand bed, along with plenty of live rock, both in the DT and in the sump. (and fuge should I add one).
Also, thinking about a tunze skimmer. I am not sure that anyone is reading this, but if anyone is, what kinda of skimmer do you use? And if no one is reading this, well... It's fun for me to document with pictures and entries anyways. So there.

rlablan

So I am talking to someone about a chiller.
I may have to drive to tucson to get it. But there don't seem to be any chillers on CL these days. ---- either. I just refuse to pay for anything new anymore. lol

luvmyreef

So...first off, congrats on being "forced to upgrade" hahaha
...one question though... what made you decide on a glass cage aquarium? The reason I ask is because I am looking for a 180g to upgrade to, and I found that they had a 180g wide which looked to be nice and nicely priced!! But I was concerned about their quality, warranty, etc... So, I changed my mind to go with the aga 180, but still havent bought it yet....and I would love to know how your lights work out because that was one fixture that I was looking at also...

rlablan

Luvmyreef- Thanks. I decided on glass cages because I went to some LFS around the area and asked what this setup would cost me. They were willing to order it for me, but not very easily and they were not willing to do things the GC.com would do. Also, they were going to charge me upwards of 3000 Bucks. NO WAY IN H E L L would I pay that.
Also- I have asked a few people on here and they really like their tank for the price. I believe it is Yerboy who just ordered a rimless SPS tank. His tank and stand came out great.
I am really excited about my light. I like the way that this light looks. Seems like a very nice unit. When we bought it, my Boyfriend took it all apart and re built the whole thing. Seems like it was very well made. If you want one, better buy it quick they don't make them anymore.
I was actually planning on the 180 wide myself. I love the dimensions. I would still like to get that tank but The boyfriend has limited my budget. If I want a really good, complete setup.... I have to get the 150 wide. But that's okay. I will live through your tank. hahahaha

luvmyreef

LOL! Nah...I will be living through yours for awhile. I haven't ordered mine yet, kind of just getting the whole thing planned first. (maybe going sumpless)

rlablan

Nah... sumpless is no fun. haha
I just ordered my new magnet for my new tank. :) I am happy to collect all of this stuff. I am gonna be like a kid on christmas when this tank arrives. So many things to unwrap, so many new toys!!! YAY

rlablan

yup. I like them for stock but their prices are very escalated. We got a quote from them about 8 months ago on a tank we were thinking about... but yeah.. their prices were astounding.
This new setup is like a scaled down version of their system that is in the front room. I even have a wavebox like theirs...

aquaknight

Looking forward to the build
I remember doing sketches of my tank too

Any guessimates when the tank is arriving?

blenny

Well Good luck with your set up! im working on my 1st nano tank was given to me free . but i have 4 other tanks to contend with this nano is a aqua cube ,not built for a Skimmer so im motifying the hood now to accomidate it, Its not fun but i think i got it.

rlablan

Hahah yeah I just had to sketch it out since I can draw fairly well but I can't seem to work things on the computer to make them look like I can the old school way (pen and paper).
We are just a few days out here, ordering the tank. They say that the truck will be out here in the 1st half of may. I don't have an exact date just yet.
Good luck on your project blenny. I am not very good with these kinds of mods. But I am very into DIY. I just need instructions so that I don't mess things up.

Thanks for tagging along guys!

rlablan

So I lied. I went ahead and ordered the tank about an hour ago.
Had to make a few changes since I built my own sump. and I forgot to order the over flow cover. I decided that I did want a black cover for it.
It will be here May 16th. It's shipping to a location that is about 45 minutes away from my house.
We will be renting a uhaul to move this baby. But the only issue is WHO is going to move it. I guess well have to hire some one to come down with us.

rlablan

So- I a having a problem with how I am going to move this new tank in.
1- I need people to help move and have scrawny friends.
2- i need something to move it in. I have a VW CC sedan and the BF has a VW GTI that is a little too small. I have a tank AND stand to move.
3- I don't have ANY clue about how much this guy will weigh, so I don't know how many people I will need to hire to move it.
4- I can't figure out how much EXTRA moving this tank is gonna cost me and funds are a little low ATM. I will have replenished what I have just spent on the tank in a few weeks, but until then....
Any thoughts? Concerns? Ideas? Hello.... Is this thing on?? :
:)
Rae

i<3reefs

They are so heavy it is unbelievable. With that said there is a few things you can do to make it easy. I moved my 8ft long 120 (1/2" thick glass) with a friend, and myself. They make a suction cup handle that is specifically for moving glass, or glass objects. Those were awesome for getting my aquarium into my truck. Unfortunately I do not own any, so we had to figure out how to get it into my home. I own a large dolly that can lay flat on 4 wheels. My friend and I lifted the aquarium one side at a time on the dolly, and then rolled it into my home. This was not a perfect way to get it done, and surprisingly worked. I was able to get my aquarium up on the stand with the help of my brother, that was terribly straining, so I would recommend 4 people to get your move done safely. Two people can get it done with a little luck, but the opportunity for bad things to happen increases exponentially. Looking back on that entire experience I'm still surprised I didn't end up with a hernia.
Good Luck

rlablan

Yeah. I can only lift about 55 lbs safely, I max out at about 70. My BF can lift a little more but you see where this is going. This is just not gonna work with us trying to do it alone. The other issue... I don't have anything to move it in. So that kinda sucks too. I don't know how to move both pieces (tank and stand) safely, and not have to make 2 trips. We only have 1 friend with a truck. And the truck is is little tiny s10 kinda guy.
I just posted an ad on CL to see if anyone responds. I asked for people who can move and people with a truck. We'll see what happens. I offered 20 bucks an hour, plus a tip. Hopefully, someone will respond.

bullitr

Originally Posted by rlablan
http:///forum/post/3259946
Yeah. I can only lift about 55 lbs safely, I max out at about 70. My BF can lift a little more but you see where this is going. This is just not gonna work with us trying to do it alone. The other issue... I don't have anything to move it in. So that kinda sucks too. I don't know how to move both pieces (tank and stand) safely, and not have to make 2 trips. We only have 1 friend with a truck. And the truck is is little tiny s10 kinda guy.
I just posted an ad on CL to see if anyone responds. I asked for people who can move and people with a truck. We'll see what happens. I offered 20 bucks an hour, plus a tip. Hopefully, someone will respond.
i pick up my 435 gallon by myself using pallet jack and i use uhaul trailer.
also to move the tank onto the stand i have reef C friends to help my out but i move the tank with the stand using furniture dolly with the help of my wife.
its not easy to move a big tank. good luck i hope you find somebody!

rlablan

LOL just had a guy on CL contact me and said that he and his 5 friends are ready to help when I need them. They have a truck that is very large and are willing to accept my 20 bucks an hour.
That works for me, as long as they show up.
Thanks bullitr!!!