1500ma ballasts NOT required for VHO

ramey70

If you don't think ballasts (VHO or not) have a wattage limitation then I'm out on this. You need more help then I can imagine. I'm with LOTR with this one. Out, have fun with your "VHO".
<a href="http://www.hellolights.com/vhoretrokits.html" target="_blank">http://www.hellolights.com/vhoretrokits.html</a>
Description
From the ballast description on HelloLights:
• Each VHO ballast can power up to 440 watts of light (with maximum of 16 feet of lamp length). Thus, EACH ballast is capable of running EITHER one, two, three or four lamps if the 440 watt limit is adhered to, plus if the proper lamp harness is used. This is an in-series product; thus for instance, if one uses the 4 lamp harness, one must run all four lamps. If one wanted to downgrade to two lamps, all that needs to be obtained is a 2 lamp harness and the quick disconnect feature allows immediate conversion from a 4 lamp system to a 2 lamp system using the same ballast. Mixing of lamp length on one ballast is possible.
<a href="http://www.***************.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=PA&Product_Code=ICE660BLST&Category_Code=VHOballast" target="_blank">http://www.***************.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=PA&Product_Code=ICE660BLST&Category_Code=VHOballast</a>
From Premium Aqautics IceCap660 description:
All Ice Cap electronic ballasts are UL approved and carry a 3 year warranty. All units include a 6 ft. wiring harness with a quick disconnect and an aluminum heat sink mounting plate. The Ice Cap ballasts supports the lighting of VHO (1500ma), HO (800ma), or standard (425ma) lamps in any combination.
IceCap 660 Powers up to 440 watts. You can run 2,3 or 4 VHO bulbs off one ballast as long as you do not exceed maximum wattage. This ballast will also run PowerCompacts.
For comparison to further prove my point of ballast wattage limitations here is the IceCap 430 description:
IceCap 430 Powers up to 320 watts. You can run 2,3 or 4 VHO bulbs off one ballast as long as you do not exceed maximum wattage. This ballast will also run PowerCompacts
Notice there is a 120 watt difference between the ballasts. That is why an IceCap660 is capable of powering four 110watt VHOs and the IceCap430 can only power two. So YES VHO ballasts have wattage limitations just like a Halide ballast.

wamp

I left a message with a friend at GE.. He is an Electrical Engineer for them and I told him to get back asap and most of the time he takes his sweet time. I told him of this site and where to find the posts. SO, I hope to hear from him soon.. I have had a similar disscussion with him about a year ago when someone approached me with a question on HO lighting. When he writes me I will post it here.. Till then.. :)

naturelover

Here is GE's VHO ballasts page take a look at it.
<a href="http://catalog.gelighting.com/cgi-bin/gx.cgi/AppLogic+FTContentServer?&pagename=GE_Lighting/Catalog/Production_www/home&mode=browse&path=,FLU&subcat=L2-48" target="_blank">Ge's 1500mA</a>

I don't want to get into this one either, but why do they have NO, HO and VHO if you get the full output of VHO lamps using a NO ballast. It must be another government conspiracy.

ramey70

ItandFish
Now those are real VHO ballasts. The wattage on them is a little low restricting the amount of bulbs. But the ballast we are discussing is a 980ma ballast. All those you listed were 1500ma.

ren

WAMP,
I'm running 4 48" bulbs. With 2 ballasts. 2 bulbs per ballast. Its a shame I'm starting to believe we're dealing with kiddies here. I really don't see what the big deal is. Hammilton tech sells a 800Ma ballast and they say it will run 2 48" VHO bulbs and my ballasts are 980Ma. Lol basic electronics. Or even basic math - subtraction 980-800= 180 hey how about that I have 180Ma to spare. LOL

ren

Chocochipper - I've seen No/HO/ and VHO bulbs but flor ballasts are listed by amperage. The big thing here is will a 980MA ballast fire 2 48" VHO's - I say yes, Ramey says no. Hamilton tech sells a 800Ma ballast that fires 2 48" bulbs. Then he says ya they fire and are just as bright (the light flickers) but not running VHO just a pretend VHO in deminished capacity (and goes out again). All he's done is bash me for my setup providing no proof. I've done the math and provided sites for proof showing wireing diagrams. So now we wait for the confirmation from WAMP's friend. Think I'll call some lighting contractors in the morning also.

ramey70

Do the math on your wattage genius. Your ballast is a 160 watt ballast with 2 110 watt bulbs. Your 60 watts short. Your bulbs will FIRE however the output is not going to be at maximum amount. Amps aren't everything. You still haven't responded to the fact that ballasts DO have a wattage rating little kiddie.

ramey70

By the way, I called Hamilton Tech, that 800ma ballast they sell is a 220 watt ballast which can perfectly handle 2 220 watt bulbs. I checked all ballasts that Lowes and Home Depot sell with GE and the highest rated ballast they carried was 160 watts. I know doubt believe your amps are enough, your wattage is short.

wamp

Forget about it ramey70. You are the most pompous person I have ever met on this board. "Kiddie"? For the last time that is not a max output on the wattage. Not to mention watts are not OUTPUT. They are a measurment of current, voltage and resistance. (But you knew that) It is a nominal rating. Nominal means to give a name. They are not rated in max values. Even when it says max!!!
Get over it.. YOU WIN! You are the man!!! Is that what you want to hear? They WIll not work!!! They are a figment of Ren's Imiganition.
P.S. Just the other day you were saying that the current was the problem. Now its the wattage? What next? Voltage? Impedence?

wamp

P.P.S. : I like my real VHO ballast due to the efficency and the fact that I do not have to change bulbs quite as often..
Ren, The fact that these ballasts are running at more than rated capacity, Means the ballast is unefficent. Have you noticed the amount of heat generated? Should be more than your average VHO ballast. The fact that the ballast is having to do more work to achive the same light you are probably prematuring your bulbs age a little. To be on the safe side I would change them a little more often than normal.
Still waiting for my E-Mail.

ramey70

First off, he said "kiddie" not me. Second, you are basically saying that I can put 4 48" 110watt tubes on an IceCap 430 when it clearly states NOT to exceed maximum wattage of 320 watts! You say it will be okay, it will just run a little inefficient. Good God man that's hillarious. According to that theory I can put a 200 watt Iwasaki MH on a 175 MH ballast and it will run "inefficient" and a little hot but the output of light won't be affected. I don't want to sound pompous I just don't want someone looking to get into this hobby to get suckered into this. He wanted proof, I gave him proof. He said ballasts don't have a wattage rating. I gave him three descriptions that clearly said they do and NOT to exceed them.

OK I'll get into it. I know that a VHO bulb will fire on an HO ballast. I have done it by accident before. I don't know what light output it was giving off. Don't think it was VHO though. The big problem with it though was that the bulb had a short life (6 months) before it died. Everyone can do all the math and everything else they want to do to see if it works as VHO should, but the only way to really prove it is to get yourself a light meter and measure what is being emitted. You will have a hell of a time measuring with the

[hr]
eye. I suppose if you're really good and can see that it pulses 60 times per second than you may be able to tell if it's brighter without the meter.
Not to mention watts are not OUTPUT. They are a measurment of current, voltage and resistance. <hr></blockquote>
One watt of power equals the work done in one second by one volt of potential difference in moving one coulomb of charge.
That should clear that up for everyone.

ren

Ramey - what's halarious is the fact that you are soooo confused. If IF IF IF a FLORESCENT ballast has a wattage its for the power IT is using. They HAVE a curent output. The output wattage you seem to be refering to now is bulb wattage. Take the icecap 660 your pride and joy and figure all the restrictions on it 16' length 4 bulbs 440 watts, now, is it a 440 watt ballast? NO! By your theory you cannot run 4 36" bulbs on the 660 cause guess what - they don't match the wattage lol. Since now you want to use MH ballasts and thier relationships to MH bulbs as support. What a crock! Get over it already and show some proof - not confused feelings! Can you direct me to ANY site that specifically states that the Icecap 660 is a 440 Watt Ballast? NOT THAT IT CAN SUPPORT UP TO 440 WATTS OF BULBS but that IT is a 440 WATT.
Ramey man oh man talk about stubborn get off your pedistal and smell the coffee. You have Failed to offer any proof. As soon as I show you proof or explain Ohms law why to you, you then attempt to jump to another false made-up fact.
Just what is a ballast ramey? Its a fancy name for a power supply. It's job is to provide enough current to light the bulbs. Did the bulb light? If so guess what - the ballast has done its job. It may be inefficent or may not. Thats not the issue here. You already proved it for yourself that your 'stock' hood lit off your VHO's just as bright. There is no magical special lightwave comming from the ballast, only current.
The sad thing is YOU are missleading the newcommers here making them think that just because saltwater has the history of being expensive that there is one way to do everything and thats the only way - that there are no alternatives - lets all feed the corporations that charge us in this hobby 10 times the amount for a product because its special - its advertised for aquarists.

One more thing. When you buy a VHO lamp it is stamped with 1500ma right on it. I can't say that the aquarium lamps are stamped with that also cuz I don't have them on my tank, but you're standard lamps do. And there is no difference between standard and aquarium lamps aside from the higher Kelvin ratings.

And on the topic description it should be 1500ma not 1500Ma. Ma would be megamps (10 to the 6)
ma is milliamps (10 to the -3). So instead of 1500000000 amps it is really 1.5 amps.