150g Divided W/ Mantis Shrimp

My friends O.Scylarrus had hit the glass tank a few times, he was ina 20g. No crack or dent in it. None of the many I've owned have cracked or dented glass when it hit either.
My O.Scylarrus is acting weird in that he is very active at night but not at all during the day. Might get a new Lysiosquilla Maculata for the pseudosquilla's side and move the P.C. to my 12g.

bexleyfish

Im not ripping you but what is the incentive to devote an entire half of a tank to a mantis? You could use that space for alot of stuff

petjunkie

I love it! I would think any active fish would be just fine as long as your feeding your mantis, there's plenty of room, I would love a mantis but haven't had a spare tank big enough.

Originally Posted by BexleyFish
Im not ripping you but what is the incentive to devote an entire half of a tank to a mantis? You could use that space for alot of stuff
True it is alot of room to dedicate to a mantis. Since these 2 only needed a 30g and 15g to be satisfied.Basically I was thinking of what to add into my tank and couldn't think of anything. Instead of setting up a new tank and/or tearing this one down I decided to use it for mantis.
Recent problems with something in the water, I don't know what, proved fatal to the mantids and they both perished. Right now the tank is being setup with more predators. Lions so far, maybe scorpions later.

swfishfan

if you guys go look up videos on that website with all the videos on it, there is one called ted talks, and this lady does a researched presentation on the mantis and there she proves that the mantis is the fastest animal by moving its hammer at 45 miles per hour in the water (thats about the speed of an aicraft carrier) and she also proves that the force of an 1inch and a half mantis exceeds 200lbs psi, and i can almost gurantee that that could break through glass even thicker glass, but good luck thats alot of water

The mantis is NOT the fastest animal movement. the Trap-jaw ant is faster.
I've seen my friends 4 inch odontodactylus Scylarrus smack his glass without a scratch. this species is the strongest(strongest per inch) mantis shrimp. I know of no person, except a well known researcher, that has had a mantis break his glass.
Coraljunky- Maybe. Do you know what species? How large is he?