pco1988

What does everyone think about this?
a couple of damsels to cycle the tank
2 Crosshatch Triggers
1 Long Nose Black Tang
1 Tusk
1 Blue Spotted Grouper
2 Threadfin Butterflies
Is this good or should I not even try the butterflies, they would be about 3x the size of everyone else? The tank is being put up tomorrow and is being water tested over night.
Philip

petjunkie

Wait, what do you mean by water testing overnight? You won't be able to put any fish in there for a couple months probably to allow it to cycle. Don't use damsels, the defense for damsels group will massacre you. Do a search on setting up and cycling a tank.

dave_15

you need atleast 2-3 weeks for the water to cycle with cured live rock...if uncured it might take upto 8 weeks or more

pco1988

I know both of these.mad: I was asking about the fish combination. Water testing is when you only put freshwater into the tank and run it for at least 24 hours (testing the plumbing, making sure there are no leaks, see if you got everything right).
I will ask this once more and Dave_15 don't answer you don't know what the heck you are doing and always want to put too much freakin fish into your imaginary fish tanks. Also you need one or two fish to have so that the live rock bacteria has fish waste to live off of. Why don't you get up off the computer and read some books Dave_15?
Or go and read the ******.com newsletters.:thinking:
Would this be fine:
a couple of damsels to cycle the tank
2 Crosshatch Triggers
1 Long Nose Black Tang
1 Tusk
1 Blue Spotted Grouper
2 Threadfin Butterflies
Thanks
Philip

mitzel

Originally Posted by pco1988
I will ask this once more and Dave_15 don't answer you don't know what the heck you are doing and always want to put too much freakin fish into your imaginary fish tanks. Also you need one or two fish to have so that the live rock bacteria has fish waste to live off of. Why don't you get up off the computer and read some books Dave_15?
Or go and read the reefcentral.com newsletters.:thinking:

I think you might be going a little to heavy with your stocking list . I always tend to be a little more on the skimppy side of it just for safety.
also you don't need to have live fish to cycle the tank . you can use a piece of shrimp, or even just phantom feed your tank with some flake. I'm not to big on using live fish , I just think how it would be if I had to have to live in toxic waste .

pco1988

Thanks Mitzel, I the past using the shrimp has thrown my chemistry off quite a bit to the point of the cycle taking longer than it needs to. What do you think I should eliminate from the list the butterflies or the grouper?
Philip