150w or 70w MH for 24 gal?

sugarfox03

Hey everyone! I have decided I am going to go ahead and buy a MH light since I want to keep anemones and corals and such. My question now is, what wattage light do I get? I am going with the SunPod brand, 14,000k light, but I dont know if the 70 watt or 150 watt would be better. Can anyone tell me? I have the typical 24 gal AquaPod nano cube tank. Also, it will be a little while before I get any cool stuff in the tank, can I wait to get the light, or should I get it now? My tank is just starting to cycle, so it will be another 3-6 weeks before I can introduce any livestock (I hate this part!) Any comments/suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Also, for anyone who has used this light for their tank, what do you think of it? Thanks again - you guys rock!

-Melody

reef.magic

150 definately
IMO, a good way to determine how much minimum light is necesary, divide your total wattage by your total gallons, if you end up w/ at least 5 you're safe in most cases
good luck

sugarfox03

Thanks guys! I went to my lfs today and I can get one through him for $260, is this a good price? I'm not going to get it for another month or so, I have other things to get that are more important. I will get it before I put any corals or anemones though. :) Thanks again!

L

lbaskball

I have a 150watt MH on my 24gal. Except its 10,000K. When you finally have yours can you post some pictures so I can see what the 14,000K looks like? I might change to 14,000K. The only advice I can give you is make sure you have good cooling. The tank runs hot!!!! I have relays that turns the fan on and off plus a thermoelectric chiller (its useless) because the tank temperatures get hot!

K

kalied20

I put a 70 watt over a JBJ nano 24 gallon. I plan on put about 80 of PC too, when I get the money. I am going to tie them all together on timers and make a sunrise, noon, and sunset. Will let you all know how it goes when I get it going.
But, back to the subject at hand. I like the 70 watt it is just enough for my frogspawn, kenyas, many zoos, yellow polyps, and green star polyps. The only problem I have is that I can only keep them on for about 6-7 hours. That is why the new set up is coming.