150w vs. 250w MH Question

emmitt2

On a 24" deep, 180 gallon is it ok to only have 3x150mh instead of 3x250mh. If i only have lps, anemones and softies, do i really need 250w or can i get away with 150w?

pfitz44

Ive never seen 150W MH.. ive seen 175's.. but anyways...
If your planing on keeping anyhting on the sandbed, i'd go with the 250's. But, if everyhting is going to be atleast 6" up on rocks or so, the 150/175 should be fine. Also, a good reflector would help you stay at the 150/175's as well. But id agree with you on definitly needing 3.
OT: What other lights are you using? Im settin up a 155 (Same dims as the 180, but a bowfront), and im doing 3 250's. Trying to figgure out my atinics and stuff like that.

W

winstew

Jebo sells the 175W MH DE in thier fixtures but they are really only 150.

teen

if you already have the lights, then you'll be fine with softies and lps, but if your thinking of what to buy, id say go with the 250s just so you have the extra light for lps and clams and you dont have to place them up high in the tank.

emmitt2

I havent bought them yet.
I can get a used 3x250mh with 4x54w T-5 supplements and 2 fans but its a little pricey:$650 shipped used and needs bulbs
or
3x150mh 4x96pc coralife fixture: $800 brand new
or
3x250mh 4x96pc coralife fixture: $1100 brand new
Don't know what to do???? :help: PLEASE HELP!!!!

ninjamini

I posed this question for my 70 gal just last week. I was told to go with 150 for heat reasons. although with a 24" deep tank I have thought of going with the 250.

emmitt2

Lol, i saw that thread. It's what started to confuse me. I thought i needed 250w until i read that now i'm considering the 150w. The problem is this 3x250w mh with 4x54 T-5 setup i got offered. I only have until maybe tomorrow to decide if i want it. For $650 shipped, it is a little pricey(it needs new bulbs VERY soon) but the T-5 supplements are nice.
Cant figure out which of the 3 fixtures to get. :help:
Also, could the mh and T-5 setup be a little too much light for alot of LPS? Do i really need that much light?
p.s.- can i even use the coralife fixtures under my canopy or do i need to go retrofit?

fishy7

Originally Posted by emmitt2
I havent bought them yet.
I can get a used 3x250mh with 4x54w T-5 supplements and 2 fans but its a little pricey:$650 shipped used and needs bulbs
or
3x150mh 4x96pc coralife fixture: $800 brand new
or
3x250mh 4x96pc coralife fixture: $1100 brand new
Don't know what to do???? :help: PLEASE HELP!!!!
Hey Emmitt,
I bought the 3x150 Coralife fixture and it is working great. I can keep anything I want pretty much. I do have a clam on the SB and he is fine. The 250's are pretty cool but did not want the extra $ expense and any heat issues. I keep the lights 4" about the water.

emmitt2

Fishy, is yours under a canopy?
I have a canopy and am wondering if i can put the coralife fixture under it??
It doesnt seem like their is any room for the legs since the canopy is pretty tight against the tank.
Can i use the 6 foot coralife with a canopy?? :help:
Anyone?

pfitz44

normaly with any "package" light, you can not use it with the canopy. However, you could retrofit it to your canopy

rdonnelly7

I have this same exact question myself. I have a 220 gal tank 72Lx24Dx30H. I am not planning on keeping anything on the SB and have been looking at both the coralife 3x150 versus the 3x150. I want the 3x150 because of price and heat concerns. My tank is built into the wall with roughly 24" of space from the top of the tank to the ceiling. I currently run Oribit PC 6x96w and in the summer I have to run fan on and off to keep the temp in check. In the winter time I am fine because my basement gets nice and cool. My other question is what is the benefits of remote ballasts versus ones builtin to the lights. Orbit has a setup with 3x150 and internal ballasts. I notice on my PC that the ballasts generate sick amount of heat. Does placing remote ballasts further from the tank help keep the heat down?? If anyone else buys the coralife 3x150 please let me know what you think. i am really set on getting these lights.

fishieness

Originally Posted by Winstew
Jebo sells the 175W MH DE in thier fixtures but they are really only 150.
there is no such thing. i know jebo claims they are, but no one makes them. they jsut use a 175 wat ballast instead of a 150 watt HQI

rdonnelly7

The Cheapest I have seen is $859 + $33 shipping = $892. I have only checked some of the big-name websites. I don't trust paying this much for lights from like ---- or something like that. I would rather pay a little extra and make sure I get the right service. I bought my PC lights from PetSolutions, they arrived damaged, and they immediately sent a shipping label to return the lights and then sent me new ones.

fishy7

Originally Posted by emmitt2
Fishy, is yours under a canopy?
I have a canopy and am wondering if i can put the coralife fixture under it??
It doesnt seem like their is any room for the legs since the canopy is pretty tight against the tank.
Can i use the 6 foot coralife with a canopy?? :help:
Anyone?
Mine is under a canopy. It is very tight but it does fit. I used to have legs but then mounted it directly in the canopy. Be sure you can get access to the light to change bulbs. I attached some pics.
If you need more info, I can get more detailed pics.

ninjamini

Originally Posted by FISHY7
Mine is under a canopy. It is very tight but it does fit. I used to have legs but then mounted it directly in the canopy. Be sure you can get access to the light to change bulbs. I attached some pics.
If you need more info, I can get more detailed pics.

WOW!!! That is one nice tank. What is the gallons/size? What size light is that 48/60? Did you make that stand yourself? I am about to make a stand for a 70 or 90 gallon. Do you have plans or construction photos. You have the best one I've seen.
ninjagator2000@yahoo.com
O'yea those atinics lights look really cool. Do you have one with only the moon lights on? I assume the other pic is with both actinic and MH

fishy7

Originally Posted by ninjamini
WOW!!! That is one nice tank. What is the gallons/size? What size light is that 48/60? Did you make that stand yourself? I am about to make a stand for a 70 or 90 gallon. Do you have plans or construction photos. You have the best one I've seen.
ninjagator2000@yahoo.com
O'yea those atinics lights look really cool. Do you have one with only the moon lights on? I assume the other pic is with both actinic and MH

Hey ninja,
Thanks for the compliments. I have a 215 Oceanic 72.5L X 24.5D X 29H.
Lights: A Coralife Aqualight Pro 72"
No I did not make the stand or canopy. I had this professional done. I can take as many pictures as you want just let me know.
Yes, the first is with the Actinics and the 2nd is with both PC & MH.

ninjamini

Originally Posted by FISHY7
Hey ninja,
Thanks for the compliments. I have a 215 Oceanic 72.5L X 24.5D X 29H.
Lights: A Coralife Aqualight Pro 72"
No I did not make the stand or canopy. I had this professional done. I can take as many pictures as you want just let me know.
Yes, the first is with the Actinics and the 2nd is with both PC & MH.

I'd love to see more. Can I see a pic with the moon lights on. I'd love a close up on that stand and the tank. It really is one nice tank. Exactly what I would like done in my house.
Sorry, I did not mean to steal over this thread...but that is one nice tank.

fishy7

I will take some pics tonight and send them your way. Thanks again. I can forward them to your yahoo acct easier that way.