`

i_think_so

Before I get on with it, Hello! I'm new (Obviously).
Anyway, I am getting a yellow tang. I am getting two cleaner shrimp with it. I have done research, but I still would like some person and backup info. Do You know anything you might want to tell me? Or stories? (And yes, I am aware tangs aren't a good begginner fish, but I have had freashwater for about 10 years, and I LOVE yellow tangs, so I think I can do it). A few other questions:
1) I know what to feed the shrimp and tang, but I still would like to know; what brands or pellet/flake and what feeder fish do you use?
2)I am also considering getting coral. What would you say is some good beginner coral, and if there is none, say so before I make the mistake in buying one please!
Thanks so much!

dmc888

The yellow tang needs atleast a 70g tank. Some on this site will say larger .
The reason they are hard to keep becuase they get stressed easily. .
And once they get stressed they get ich.
Which can wipe out your whole tank.
Becareful when you buy one. Examine it carefully for ich, abnormal breathing,salt looking parastites,and scratching.
It is really hard to see the parasites because it is yellow.
My yellow died of ich because it was in my 55g. He will be missed mostly by my dog brandon( my avatar pic)
He used to love watching the yellow tang.. He no longer stares at the tank.
As for the cleaner mine eats anything it can get its claws on.
I feed it krill mostly.

reefnut

WELCOME TO SWF.COM i_think_so
2)I am also considering getting coral. What would you say is some good beginner coral, and if there is none, say so before I make the mistake in buying one please!

Tell us a little about your setup. Tank specs, lighting, live rock, live sand etc...

ophiura

Originally posted by i_think_so
:1) I know what to feed the shrimp and tang, but I still would like to know; what brands or pellet/flake and what feeder fish do you use?
Thanks so much!

Welcome!
First, flakes and pellets should be used pretty minimally all considering for a tang...diversity is best. They will need access to live rock for grazing, somesort of live or prepared seaweed, some frozen formulations for tangs. As for feeders, :notsure: we don't generally use feeders in saltwater tanks...most are freshwater and are very poor for saltwater fish. Plus if ever used they would be used for predatory fish like lions and groupers...not things that would be in a reef tank.
It is important to know more about your setup - especially lighting, age of tank, filtration, specific water parameters...how much live rock...how old is the tank and how did it cycle?
Also keep in mind that a tang is not the best choice for a young newly cycled tank - it may be better to wait for a few months. Patience is the key to success in this hobby.

knots

Welcome to the world of saltwater. Your definately gonna love it, if you learn to be a patient person. If not you'll have some of the same disasters I have had. I think whether you have done freshwater for 1 year or 100 years saltwater is a whole new ballgame. First thing I would recommend is to spend a lot of time on this site and read and ask questions. You'll learn so much. And when you can get people like ReefNut and ophiura asking you questions make sure to answer and you will get great answers. Good luck and have fun.

i_think_so

Thanks guys!
I don't have a tank yet. I am trying to figure out everything I can first. I have one picked out that's 145 gallons, but just in case. That's really what I was wondering; What type of lighting should I be using? I know it mostly depends on coral for lighting, but that's saved for the future.
And yes, I know about feeder fish
I only put that because, before I made an account, I read a whole lot of previous posts. I read one on feeder fish, so I just said that.

i_think_so

OKay, I have one last question, and I will look for an answer elsewhere meanwhile, but does anyone know a cure for ich?

ophiura

Please go to the disease and treatment forum and search around. THis is probably the number one issue and the best cure is prevention. Be sure to set up a hospital or QT system in addition to your main tank as the best defense for Ick, and also the best possibility for treatment.