16 Gal Fuge for 90 Gal Tank

edpete97

I have a 16gal tank w/lighting, filters, skimmer just sitting empty. I've got a 90 gal tank, drilled, wet/dry with NO room underneath for anything else. Could I put the 16gal tank on a stand next to my 90 and somehow turn it into a fuge to combat nitrates. Where would I get started and what do I need. Thanks. My tank is 7 mos old. I want to put some corals and inverts and I want pristine water quality. Thanks.
Erik

edpete97

I want to put the 16 gal the same height to left of my tank and somehow make a refugium out of it. If I'm crazy, tell me, I won't try it. What do I need to pull water from my tank into the 16 gal and then get it back into my tank. What sort of sand/plants do I need to make a good fuge?

trainfever

Ditch the wet/dry and use the 16 as a sump/refugium. The only real use for the wet dry is for bio filtration which you already have with your live rock. Another use is to expand your water volume. If the tank has a greater water volume than the wet/dry, then I would use the 16 gal tank.

mx mr bean

hey i have the same exact 90 gallon tank as you and am planning to put a sump/refugium system in. I plan to get rid of my wet/dry all together. But i want to put a 30 gallon tank underneath just because there is so much room underneath. It is the proper size for a 90 gallon anyways. I believe the dimensions are 36X12X12.

pandafish

Originally Posted by edpete97
I want to put the 16 gal the same height to left of my tank and somehow make a refugium out of it. If I'm crazy, tell me, I won't try it. What do I need to pull water from my tank into the 16 gal and then get it back into my tank. What sort of sand/plants do I need to make a good fuge?

Same hight is not going to work. You do not want to pump in and out it. It's next to impossible to sync the pumps so sooner or later the fuge will flood.
So it would have to be higher than your DT. You would pump water out of the DT to the fuge and return (drain) to the display.
Which is going to cause some plumbing issues (minimum would be drilling the 16 for return)
The only benifit to this would be for co-pods having a good chance getting to the DT alive and whole...and coolness factor....and that being the case I would mount a 20L over the DT and run the plumbing down the wall to the DT.
2x for the 30 Gal sump/fuge with Cheato and a deep sand bed.