160 Gallon Filtration, Lighting...

mike7587

I Have a 84x18x24 160 Gallon Tank!!!
click for larger image
Here is the Filtration I was planning on using...
ProClear Aquatics Pro 300 Series Wet Dry Filter with Prefilter - 750-20300

Will it be sufficent, Is it a good or bad filter for fowlr... all sugestions welcome!! Also can I find This xact system cheaper somewhere else??
Lighing, is this sufficent for fowlr...
Coralife Aqualight Retrofit Kit-36" PC-1x96 Watt 50/50

I will have Two...
Also do you know a good book for my situation I own freshwater aquariums.
Books on occupants: Eel and Lion fish!
Also I need suggestions as to a real good master test kit.

lion_crazz

That is a very nice tank you have there.
Unfortunately, the lighting you have selected will not be adequate for even a FOWLR. The tank will be dark and you will not be able to see the fish very well at all. Then again though, if it is only going to be a FOWLR with eels and lions (things that do not like light), you may be just fine, as long as you do not mind it being a little dark.
That filtration system does not look bad, but I don't think I would trust that it will come with a good protein skimmer. For only $475, there is no way the skimmer can be that great on it.
As for a good book and test kit, I would go with the Conscientious Marine Aquarist by Robert Fenner and a good beginner master test kit is the one by Aquarium Pharmaceuticals. Once the cycle is over and you begin to get some animals in there, I would begin to upgrade to Salifert test kits.

mike7587

Lighting:I personal am not worried about seeing the fish more about what they would prefer or what is better for there health.
Skimmer:proClear Aquatics Motorized 350 Gallon Protein Skimmer Features In Sump Operation. Plug-in and Go Venturi Driven Spiral Air-Water Movement Inside Skimmer Pump Included Counter-Current Design Promotes Maximum Air-Water Contact Time Fixed Output (MPS 75 and MPS 150) Effluent Drain Hose Included Removable Collection Cup With Fittings fro Remote Drain-Off Air Injection Valve
CA 3000 Pump Included Easy to Install With Complete Instructions Lifetime Warranty Against Defects in materials and Workmanship Dimensions 22 in T X 6 in D
Also what is the best salt mix for fowlr aquarium consedring price and the fishes health (Most natural mix)

lion_crazz

You will get varying answers as far as salt goes, but I like Oceanic best. I have been using it for four years now and have been maintaining very healthy tanks.

azaintcold

I would say yes, it is necessary. It will give you the most accurate measurement of salinity/ specific gravity compared to a cheap hydrometer.