18 pallets of South Down Sand

jond

I went to the site and it looks like they may have a distribution center in the Houston, TX area. I am in OK so I may be making some phone calls.

raymac

I'm new here, and I've been lurking for a couple of days. I live in the Milwaukee area and called one of the local Home Depots to find out if they had SouthDown. I asked them if they could order some from the Rochester, MN store, and they took my number.
Imagine my surprise when the Rochester store called my wife today telling us that they are shipping a pallet to our area and it should be here Thursday!
Any readers out there in Milwaukee area?
I'm just putting up my first reef. 150 gal, so I need a price break whenever I can get one. Southdown, I read about on this thread, and also in FAMA magazine. Sounds like a great option for me....
BTW, water and salt are in the tank. The wet/dry is running...no bio balls....so I'm ready to put in sand and rock....wish me luck! Ray

wallda

Hey Ray where ya from? I am located just outside of the milwaukee area, well my home is, I am currently attending classes at the University of Wisconsin-Platteville...... but after the next 8 exams are over I am home for christmas!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

raymac

No, Wallda, I'm in the

[hr]
business...
I just bought 50 lbs of live rock today from lfs in Oconomowoc. Hope to get it on Thursday.....and the Southdown is supposed to be in on Thursday also.....should be a great week..

wallda

Oh, the reason I asked is I am also from westbend, actually if you know where sandyknoll park is, you are 1 minute from my home. Just thought that you were someone I might know. Good luck with the tank!

fishfreek

I've been following this post for some time and it really paid off! After reading the last few posts i thought i'd try calling my local HD (Appleton, WI)to see if by chance they had any south down sand in stock and of course, they didn't. I asked if i could get some shipped here, they said they would make a phone call and see if they could locate some. They just called me back, i've got two bags comming from Kohler, WI.($3.49 a bag :D ) should be here by wednesday. :D My wife will be pleased to hear that i just saved us a huge wad of cash! ;) ;)

benihuma

Any available near milwaukee? Also, if I call and ask, what details am I looking for (bag color, description)?
Ben

raymac

Hi Benihuma...
There is supposed to be a pallet coming to Milwaukee today, the 12th of December. Problem is, the HD talked to my wife, and she didn't get the exact store or location. I've got a phone number at home (I'm at work), and when I find out where it is, I'll let you know.......Thanks, Ray

raymac

Wallda,
I moved to West Bend in April from the Detroit area......I live in Villa Park..NW side of town on the hill.....
So I doubt if you know me, but if you want to stop by when you're in town, let me know.
My email is raymac@charter.net
Since I'm new at this, I can use any pointers you've got to give.......thanks, Ray

bigeyedfish

Anyone in the Philadelphia Area?? I am on business in Bensalem and visited the Home Depot and saw that they had Southdown! About 4 pallets full. i bought a couple to take back to DC with me. Just a heads up for anyone interested

fishfood

Wow,
That is the second message I saw about SD being sold in stores in PA, Well I'll be there for christmas but I'm flying home. I can't take the stuff on the plane. Thats what i've been thinking every time i read a post like that and then it occured to me. My grandparents just retired and are driving around the country. They will be in PA while i'm there and then they are making their way down to P'cola. I'll just have them bring it along with. Thanks for the info guys :D

raymac

Hey Ben--
Got my South Down sand at the Home Depot at I-43 and GreenBayRd/Capitol last night...
They didn't have a price in the system and I told them $3.49, and they just rung it up.
It's outside in the back of the patio, but the guys know where it is......good luck!!!!

cyn

From reading Cemex's web page, it sounds like the southdown name will stick for now. Still can not find the stuff in Houston.... my .02

clownman

DAluminum,
It's a brand of play sand that sold in some Home Depot. Now, I never saw it personally, but feel like I knew about it all my life. People pick this over many other reef sand, for number of reason
1) Cheap (3-4 dollar a 40 lbs bag)
2) Really fine (also white)
3) Natural so, Reef Safe
4) Many people had great success
5) Caribbean